Misfire!! on Grand Vitara 2002 16v Petrol

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
granvit
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Misfire!! on Grand Vitara 2002 16v Petrol

Post by granvit » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi everybody I also put this on the general and troubleshooting thread, until I saw this one.
So apologies for that and for this being a long question. We have got a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2002 2.0 16v petrol which has developed a misfire, we brought earlier this year (missus pride and joy) never missed a beat at all, but it had its first long run up to Cumbria...no problem, got back travelling down the M4 couple of days later, the wife said she noticed the power drop off going up the slip road, nursed it to a friends place, called AA next day..he started it up but it was misfiring took plugs out and said that's the problem no 3 plug had burnt it's electrode away, engines gone etc etc did we want to sell it (hmm!) I did notice he had tapped all the other plugs closed tight!, brought truck back home put a new set of plugs in started up first flick as normal running sweet as a nut, quiet as a mouse, went for a run got up the road..misfire came back after about 1/2mile got back home, a friend brought his reader plugged it in, it said multiple misfire, fitted set of injectors )secondhand) ..started first time, running nice gave it a few light revs, misfire again...fitted 4 coil packs (secondhand) started up running on tickover for 1/2hr no probs...gave it increased light revs after a minute or so misfire again. went out there later started up perfect again ran for 3/4hr and would have continued on tickover I thought give it some revs after a minute or so..misfire came back, I thing I noticed is that something on top of the engine is clicking loudly when it misfires and the engine management light flickers it seems when you want more fuel or are asking it to do more you get the misfire, it's costing an arm and a leg at the minute albeit secondhand parts to no avail. Can you wizards offer any help please. Bryn