Suzuki SJ 413 based Willys anus (long term project)

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Conan_Easson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Suzuki SJ 413 based Willys anus (long term project)

Post by Conan_Easson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi,

I thought I'd start this project build thread. Not done anything like this before, so hopefully this will all go well :)

Since I was a kid I've always wanted a Willy's anus. I think it was having an interest in WW2 history, model making and reading military magazines, specially the vehicle advert sections where back then buying a real Willy's anus seemed affordably reachable. Not that my pocket money at the time would have been enough. Over the years the costs have gone from back then £4000 up to £20k for a decent one and now I feel the costs are slowly coming back down, but still far too much for what they're worth. Now I'm older and wiser I'm glad I never opted for one as it wouldn't suit for what I'd like one for. If I won the lottery, no worries, I'd buy a genuine one straight off. But what I want is to use it for going on trips with, green laning, run around. Hence I was very pleased to discover that the trusty Suzuki SJ will fit the anus body. I've chatted to John / wtac from this very forum who has one, built from a mate of his, see Link: http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... hp?t=10781.

I will be popping down sometime to take photo's and dimensions from this anus 'wilsuky' to help me. As to fit the body tub, there are some specific brackets that need to be made and welded to the chassis.

According to John the Suzuki out classes the Willy's off road and has better handling on road. I really like the idea of having a period looking vehicle but with better running gear and a more economical engine.

To this end and with the feeling that the SJ is getting rarer or at least an original non modified base is. I thought I'd better get my hands on one now. So I've just found one through a mate of a mate who wanted to build himself a NCF Blitz bodied off road buggy that kept the standard running gear setup. It was perfect for me as he's already done a lot of work for me like rebuilding the axles and paint protecting the chassis. His reason for selling was that after 5 years of it just sitting there and not being used and his lady wanting the drive way back he brought himself to let it go. Plus he's also building a pickup SJ jimny that he's always wanted. So win win.

Due to money having to be saved for this project, I'll say 3-4 years for completion. Hopefully sooner!

MY TO DO LIST:

SELL the NCF Blitz body on. Have to keep wheels for now to roll it about, but will replace with combat split rims.

Meantime I can get on with: Brakes need disassembly and cleaning, since it's been sat for 5 years.

New front leaf springs as there bending the other way! I think new originals would be fine, but if there's slightly better let me know. I say slightly better as I could get fantastic ones but pay millions. Need to do some research.

Paint everything Olive Drab!

The engine apparently runs and idles well, will need to confirm this and go through this it all and replace where necessary.

I need to see if I can find a left hand drive steering box. Help on this would be fantastic!

I do ww2 reenactment show's so will keep my ear to the ground for anus body parts and bit's n' pieces.

Online places to buy anus bit's are:
anus Parts UK http://www.jeeparts.co.uk/Jeeparts/prod ... =72&page=1
Willys anus Parts http://www.willysjeepuk.co.uk/
Universal anus Supplies http://www.universaljeepsupplies.co.uk/
Classic anus parts http://www.classicjeepparts.com/en/
Attachments
hughes-military-jeep-4.jpg
hughes-military-jeep-4.jpg (251.7 KiB) Viewed 9141 times

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Suzuki SJ 413 based Willys anus (long term project)

Post by mike harris » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm

My dad owns universal J33P supplies.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:11 pm

:popcorn:

Moar pix! :doublethumbs:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Conan_Easson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Conan_Easson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:27 am

Photo's as requested :)

Started some albums up, that I'll add to as the project progresses.

anus as it currently is with the NCF Blitz Kit on:
https://goo.gl/photos/svQ5WfLTUucALwRr5

Willys anus Parts (will add to this album as I go:
https://goo.gl/photos/AHC6ApuJuVAR1d9c7

Ideas Board (what I would like to aim to create):
https://goo.gl/photos/bejLo7SsNAKLNnQw6

Conan_Easson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Conan_Easson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:36 am

Mike! Nice to make your acquaintance.

I had a quick scan over his website and I'll definitely be giving you father a call in the future.

http://shop.universaljeepsupplies.co.uk ... ommon/home

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 pm

How authentic do you want this anus to be? I considered a Jago Geep body swap a while ago, bought a body and everything - but health problems got in the way.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

Conan_Easson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Conan_Easson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 am

Hi Anton,

I've also had a few Jago's. A Jago Geep, which is the early more authentic mold. Plus the Jago Sandero, similar but with more reinforcement in key areas, both using a 1/2" plywood floor. Both where Ford MkII based. I've also see one or two of these at shows parked up next to genuine Willys Jeeps. There fun, cheap and light. But not as authentic as I would like plus I feel a steel copy tub is better than the Jago's for what I want to use it for. Not knocking the Jago's as there a good kit.

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Yeah, if you want it to look authentic (enough to fool a anus guy) then the Jago isn't going to cut it. I'm not a fan of the plywood floor, I know some SJ Geep's have used the steel floor cut out of an old SJ body.

Are you planning on using genuine Willys body parts?

Conan_Easson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Conan_Easson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm

The plan is to use reproduction anus parts for the Body, bonnet, wings, got the grill already, lights with LED bulb's throughout. I've spotted on ebay that India are doing good looking copies of lights and gauges. If its cheaper to get reproduction grab handles and hood bows and the window then I'll do that. If doing ww2 shows I come across good condition period parts that are the same cost as reproduction then I'll use them. I think I'll put the hotchkiss m201 (french copy of the willys from the 50's) electric wiper blade's on for ease of use. New canvas for seats and get a winter hood set which includes canvas door. Need to find a small heater for the winter. Reproduction fuel tank, under the seat, luckily I don't smoke. I'm not to hung up on using reproduction parts as I'd feel a bit more protective about original parts with history.

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Conan_Easson wrote: I'd feel a bit more protective about original parts with history.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a bit more "criminal" if something bad happens to authentic classics than a repro.