Jordis 1988 Samurai (Re)Build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Samurai Remodelling

Post by Jordi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:22 pm

On a seperate issue an associate of mine has offered me a samurai gti conversion on daihatsu axles and discs all round for £300 and it has a 410 transfer box so more cross breeding may be taking place later on.

Im thinking for £300 i can take what i want then break the rest to recoop some of the costs.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 am

Soooo, it failed MOT.

O/S head lamp aim
Fuel leak
Exhaust, lack of, but it did sound something like a tank.

Replaced all fuel line with new rubber pipe.

It's at custom exhaust place now getting its stack made and my MOT man is gona set the headlamp up when it goes back on saterday.

Overall im pleased as there is nothing major. All the bodywork is ok and mechanically it sailed through.

Fingers crossed on saterday we'll have our pass.

As mentioned in my other post ive acquired a 410 transfer box. I may build a rock lobster or just fit it as it for now. Also ordered a 50mm cone air filter for it.

Getting there
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 am

just fit the 410 box.. :mrgreen:

fill it with new oil first.. :idea:

it will make a lot of difference off-road. 8-)
as long as you don't intent to do long trip's on the motorway you will get use to
the lack of top speed quite quickly... :lol:

tony :P

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:33 pm

I'll probably fit the new box as is Tony and see how it goes. The samurai box seems quite good, I.E. it's not rattling its brains out with worn bearings. If the 410 box is ok they I'll run it as is. If it needs stripping down then I may go down the rock lobster route while it's stripped.

I don't intend to do many miles full stop and my motorway miles are minimal anyway. My 58' GV has about 4900 on it and thats in over a year and half. That includes a a 400mile round trip to Worcester which was a one off.

I think a clutch may be needed first otherwise it wont be going anywhere. I've had it almost 5 years and drove it properly for the first time on saterday. Loved it! :mrgreen:

I just can't wait to get it back with the new exhaust on it. That'll be all the MOT issues sorted and by 13:00 on Sat 19th we will have our MOT cert!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:17 pm

I dont know if it frustration, anticipation or excitement but exhaust a fix have been on the phone saying its ready and that are chuffed it as they've never done a job like this before.

Annoying part. Probably gona be saterday before i see it. Photos will be up soon as!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Sorted! New exhaust! New MOT. Photos up later

hucky
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by hucky » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:48 pm

well done :)

Seth
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Seth » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Well done, that's a helluva lotta work, but I gotta ask, did it go in for the MOT with all that plating just tacked on or has it been seamed up, liking the rig tho, will be nice painted up.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Heres the photos of the nice new exhaust.
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG (120.82 KiB) Viewed 8451 times
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG (110.76 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG (100.25 KiB) Viewed 8449 times
Seth, as my welding is some what poor i've tried to do as little as possible. Some of the plating has been seam welded and those that dont take any load may stay spot welded and just have a run of filler / seam sealer to finish them off. Whilst it it MOT'd now i'm not putting it on the road yet. I was trying to make frickley but pretty much can't afford it. Im not a 100% happy with the rear wheel arches so I'm gonna try and remodel it, add a spare wheel carrier and a took box etc...

Im just chuffed to bits and cant wait to get a lick of paint on it!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Frickley is now officially dead in the water for me. Money issues aside. Despite being MOTd i still hav a few jobs i wanted to do before going but the slight issue of finishing work somewhere around 11 on friday night and going away again at 4 this morning has put a stop to me getting them done.

Just to rub salt into the wound im parked at scun-thorpe (had to put a hyphen in as it thought i was writing a naughty word) and there was a landrover parked nxt to me covered in KORC and frickley stickers.

In the grand total of my 29 and a quarter hours off all we managed was an MOT. If im off nxt weekend i hope to redo the rear arches and get a coat of primer on it. Wishful thinking i know.

Jordi