Newby

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
dirk02
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Newby

Post by dirk02 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:42 am

Glad to found this board. We are looking at a 2004 Jimmy that seems in good condition. This will be a fun rig but needs to know more inside and out before pulling the trigger. Gonna spend some time reading around here.

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Newby

Post by Anton » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27 am

The Jimny is a great car, and a great offroad fun toy. Just watch out for rust, especially in the chassis, wheel arches and the rear floor - poke it all over with a screwdriver.

The early soft top vehicles have a different engine, they have the old G13 engine like the SJ413 and Samurai, but 16 valve and with fuel injection. Hard top vehicles and later soft tops (after 2004?) have the newer M13 engine. They're both pretty cool engines though. If you get an M series engine, make sure you know if it's got VVT or not in case you ever need to replace anything, the non-VVT M13 is not replaceable with the VVT version and vice-versa, although they're all really good engines.

Don't quote me, but I think a 2004 is going to be a non-VVT. If it's a G13, then it's definitely not VVT.

I think sometime in 2004 is when the Jimny got antilock breaks, so if it has those, check if they work - although I don't think there's any known problem with the system Suzuki used.

Check the axles for signs of wear around the welds. It's a known weak point of Jimmys - the welds in the axles can rust out. Poke them, look for rust, look for signs of oil seepage, and if you are in any doubt - walk.

Only other thing I can think of is that the automatic locking freewheeling hubs for the front wheels can go wrong. It's usually a bad vacuum line or pump. It's worth checking if 4wd actually works, the light can come on even if it's not working. Don't try to test 4wd on tarmac or any kind of grippy surface!!!

Suzuki Jimnys don't have a central differential, if you use 4wd on a surface with high grip, you can grenade the drive train.

Oh, and :welcome2:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 am

+1 on what Anton said.

It's also worth accidentally dropping the clutch and see if you get any loud bangs, if it does it's usually the chain which stretches, and will need a full replacement - £60-£120ish!

Also, check out the kingpin bearings on the front axle, drive at 40 and see if you get much movement in the steering wheel (shudder) and also the front axle seals, see if they are leaking!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:37 am

Hi :welcome: I think they covered it
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

dirk02
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by dirk02 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 am

Thank you all, great tips! Will wait till next week to take a closer look.