rebuilding front axle

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

rebuilding front axle

Post by kiwizook » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:49 am

Hi guys, I started disassembling my front axle to rebuild it. I understand how the correct wheel bearing preload has to be set, but how do I know how to shim the kingpin's? do I start by using no shims anywhere, and go from there, or what is the recommended procedure?

also can I take out the diff to inspect it, and then bolt it back in without having to adjust anything?(after pulling the drive shaft's obviously) I'm fairly sure I can, but just want to be sure
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: rebuilding front axle

Post by twiss » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 am

I would start with 1 shim in each kingpin, do it all up and measure the kingpin preload, then remove shims to increase preload, or add more shims to decrease preload...
As for the diff, you can remove it without having to adjust anything... its when you undo the pinion flange nut when you need to re-set up the diff
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:33 pm

good to know twiss! only thing now is to find some more shims, as I think there are only 3 shims on my axle. what's the easiest way to measure the king pin bearing preload?
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Guess it ;) or use a spring balance.
Or borrow one from someone who's into fishing. :D
Personally I would put the original shims back in the same places and see how it is.
Chances are nobody ever removed any to tighten up worn bearings.
Attachments
kp.jpg
kp.jpg (241.05 KiB) Viewed 7385 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 am

can't remember where exactly they were. as I pulled it apart before, and didn't take any notice then where they were :screwy:

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:55 am

As long as you know how many were on each side just put them back so there's an even ammount of shimming top and bottom. Obviously if its an odd number then put the extra one on the top for the extra 0.10mm axle clearance. Every little helps :)
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Brrok_lands
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Brrok_lands » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Can I jump in here with another question as I'm in the process of doiong the same thing.
A lot of the joints on the axle are sealed with silicon rather than gaskets, does anyone have a recommendaton for the silicon to use, I can't imagine a tube of bog standard silicon for £2 at my local builders' merchant is of the required quality/ durability?

Cheers
Brook

BabySuzi
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by BabySuzi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Liquid gasket?

I've seen it but never used it. Definitely never stripped anything that it's been used on but I can Imagine it would look like silicon sealant when set.

I heard it's easy to use too much and just as easy to use not enough.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:31 am

it's not too bad when you use too much on a diff. it will just get munched up by the gears, do no damage, and is flushed out at the next oil change. more damage can be done when the stuff is used on engines, where it could clog up sensors, pumps etc

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 pm

I've been told that liquid gasket really is just bog standard silicone sealant under a different name.

Anyone know how true that is?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map