Planning a turbo 1.6 Vitara Tin Top

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
trapper
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Planning a turbo 1.6 Vitara Tin Top

Post by trapper » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:55 am

Hey Guys I'm debating with myself over the benefit of high lift springs/ riser kits as a suspension mod. The truck I'm intending to build will have to be road legal and mods will have to suit work use as well as more "adventurous" pursuits. With this in mind I'm considering an air bag setup front and rear with a four inch range.......... -2"; standard; +2" ride height presets. This is hopefully enough to suit road, work (I have to carry wood and metal components) and farm track, light green laning, I'm not looking at competition style off roading.

Any thoughts? I asked the dog but he just covered his eyes with his paws!!!
Last edited by trapper on Sat May 30, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Planning a turbo 1.6 Jimny

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:40 am

Theres a saying often used in the off-road world "KISS"....keep it simple stupid (not calling you stupid :lol: ). If you over complicate an off-roader it will be less reliable and have more issues to fix on a regular basis.

For the use you are describing there's not really any need for any suspension lift, maybe 2" at most and that won't really effect it's on road handling.

Airbags sound like an over complicated system for very little gain and tbh they probably won't be very good or reliable off-road.

What size tyres do you want to run?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:28 pm

I cannot see any advantage on what you are trying to achieve,why the idea of such a complicated suspension package when i am almost certain a better setup can be achieved with alot less effort.

Of course i am more than likely missing the point,but good luck with this adventurous project,i basically use mine for exactly the same type of work horse with occasional trips off road but my Vitara LWB is totally stock but its never got stuck yet or never let me down mechanically either.

I have to agree with Scottie on this one,unless you are trying to achieve a balls out off roader and require the best suspension set up going then 'KISS' much less to gop wrong and in the long term much more reliable.

Of course these are just my own thoughts.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

trapper
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by trapper » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:17 pm

RickUK wrote:I cannot see any advantage on what you are trying to achieve,why the idea of such a complicated suspension package when i am almost certain a better setup can be achieved with alot less effort.

Of course i am more than likely missing the point,but good luck with this adventurous project,i basically use mine for exactly the same type of work horse with occasional trips off road but my Vitara LWB is totally stock but its never got stuck yet or never let me down mechanically either.

I have to agree with Scottie on this one,unless you are trying to achieve a balls out off roader and require the best suspension set up going then 'KISS' much less to gop wrong and in the long term much more reliable.

Of course these are just my own thoughts.

trapper
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by trapper » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks both for your thoughts the air bag to the rear is for load carrying purposes mainly to allow the ride height to be reduced for loading purposes and then returned to "standard" ride height when load carrying

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:16 pm

How much weight are you intending to carry? I doubt you'll have any issues with standard suspension tbh.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Fri May 01, 2015 12:06 am

Am I missing the bleedin' obvious?

The 1.6 turbo....
If it ticks over...leave it

trapper
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by trapper » Tue May 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Ok Guys and Girls I finally committed to my first Suzi. Not the Jimny as originally intended but a Vitara JLX 1.6 three door tin top. First job is a set of freewheeling front hubs has anyone tried the Jimnybits kit? If so is it worthwhile?

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm

Yes they are always a good idea, saves fuel for one thing.

What turbo and you going to use?
If it ticks over...leave it

trapper
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by trapper » Wed May 27, 2015 6:37 am

At the moment I have a turbo that was originally fitted to a 1.7tdi Vauxhall/Opel engine..... it only cost me £35 so I'll need to give it a detailed check but I reckon it should be about the right size for the 1.6........ I'm not looking for outright speed performance just that bit extra. as the Vit will be my only transport its all got to be done on a rolling build basis