Santana seeking solution!

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Santana seeking solution!

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 pm

I know a guy who ran a Hilux (which has a very similar drivetrain to ours) without the rear prop for months. You should be fine for a few hundred yards.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:39 pm

When my rear UJ exploded one night I drove home (15 miles) in FWD. And carried on for a week till I got a new one. No worries to drive it matey.
If it ticks over...leave it

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:26 pm

This morning I have tried WD40 on UJs... runs smoother seems like UJs are dry so I will grease them tommorrow. Meanwhile, new video taken this morning...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h3htsIE5TU

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:25 pm

No post long time... been busy drinking around hollidays, if You drink dont drive, remember? Anyway, I read thru most of forum last week and find simple check rather than taking off rear driveshaft. I just flip Tbox to N and went thru gears... it was worst higher I go (bit shaking and horrible grinding noise in fifth). It was easy to pinpoint its resource and it was first UJ on first prop trans to Tbox. I hope that is it and it will be end of my problems. Also hope that its a cause and not the consequence... I will see that, planning to take this prop and rear for balance just to be sure that everything is in well... Happy new year to all!!!

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 pm

Hope that sorts it, mate!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:19 pm

Just to add, I would keep on top of those mid-prop UJs especially... My UJ snapped and the prop spun round, battered the shit out of the transmission tunnel, smashed the corner off the transfer box and ripped out about 2 foot of the wiring loom!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:27 pm

twiss wrote:Just to add, I would keep on top of those mid-prop UJs especially... My UJ snapped and the prop spun round, battered the shit out of the transmission tunnel, smashed the corner off the transfer box and ripped out about 2 foot of the wiring loom!
Plus new underpants, a pair of jeans and a drivers seat. ;)
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:39 am

Hi everyone,
decided to take off T-box one more time and re check it innards. While taking it off found that two of three mounts have actual bolt driven thru rubber so basicaly attached directly to cradle/chassis which I assumed made most of vibration. Also, countershaft had some serious surface damage (like bearings eaten it away). So I ended up replacing countershaft, both needle bearings and t-box gaskets (around 100 euro in parts pictured here).

Last edited by rundo on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:42 am

For mounts I ordered Landy mounts from UK, it was faster to get, way cheaper and mounts are looking rugged and hard to tear...

rundo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rundo » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:55 am

Now I can tell that (most) vibrations gone, still got rattle and shift slack but after this I am pretty sure that it is rear diff need to be adjusted. I feel comfortable to drive it now this is most important will figure out diff solution down the road.