Coil conversion/ stronger axles

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
basher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Coil conversion/ stronger axles

Post by basher » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:48 pm

My brother owns a lwb with already a serious spec but it's let down by poor articulation and rides like a cart, so he fancies a coil conversion and since we're going that far I was thinking about upgrading to stronger axles as we just munched a diff, I think the 33s are taking there toll. The truck is a keeper so spec won't be staying the same over time as we plan a newer larger engine. Brief spec
1.6 on su carb
5spd box
Low ratio transfer box
Vitara low ratio diffs
So it has some good stuff on it but it's dreadfully slow on the road so long term
Plan is up the gearing a bit and more power to make up for it eventually.
The standard axles look a bit puny under it and I don't think they are strong enough so what do people use? I've seen landy axles but I'm not a fan, something with a LSD or locker in the back would be the business. I have a mk3 hilux sitting here but it's an open diff and on leaf springs so a lot of work. Also need to concider the width issues as we have the widest bushwacker arches on already and the wheels protude

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Coil conversion/ stronger axles

Post by Jordi » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:05 pm

What suspension is currently fitted.

Samurai axles are easy to upgrade, truss & gusset, full float, uprated half shafts.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:28 am

Upgraded shafts and CVs for samurai axles should easily cope with 35s as long as you don't drive like a fool :lol:

there are alternative set ups to improve ride comfort and flex other than coils. My YJ spring set up works really well and is comfortable enough to use daily.

I run 33s with updated shafts,CVs and a full float rear conversion and haven't had any issues even when driving it like a twat :lol:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 7724 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

basher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by basher » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:25 am

Not sure on what's there already il try find some markings on it, modifying what's there would be the easy option but I was worried about the strength of the diffs if I've munched one reversing up a small hill in 2wd

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:44 pm

All diffs are weaker in reverse and if there was any play in the pinion bearings that wouldn't have helped. I've never actually broken a diff in 10years of owning my SJ and it's never had tyres smaller than 31" :thumbup: if any play develops in the pinion bearings it gets sorted as that's when issues can arise.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

basher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by basher » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:33 am

Yeah it was an unknown, problem is trying to pin point noises in it as it's bloody noisy the transfer box whines a lot.
This is the current set up, looks pretty stock to me, the spring seats look strengthened to me

Ju
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Ju » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:38 pm

Having a spring over axle conversion like you have will have an effect on the ride of it. SJ's aren't know for their articulation as stock, get some YJ's on and it will change it completely.

basher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by basher » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Where can I find info on is set up, tried a search but couldn't find anything

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Spring over axle conversion on standard looking springs

A bad setup could be causing your diff destruction.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:58 am

I have SPOA on the front of my LJ and thankfully it was done properly, I did however need to fit a decent high steer kit to it. Not cheap, and not easy to find if you are in any kind of hurry.
If it ticks over...leave it