Off road suspension, springs etc

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
Mattmcgrath365
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Off road suspension, springs etc

Post by Mattmcgrath365 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:02 pm

I've just bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara gv1600 for a bit of fun and a work horse kind of setup I've been looking too get it setup off road with mud tyres but can't seem too find just a cheap kit and someone to fit it.
I'm fairly clued up on motors but I want a professional to carry out the work does anyone know any cheap kits or someone who does this sort of thing cheap but a good job etc.
Would be loads of help if I got some feedback thanks a lot

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Off road suspension, springs etc

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:26 pm

What kind of kit were you looking to fit?

The cheapest option is to get mud terrain tyres and change nothing else - many people do this and it works a treat. If you want something more extreme with huge tyres etc, then you're likely to need changes to the body and/or suspension.

My advice would be to get some extreme mud tyres in an appropriate size - I have Malatesta Kaimans, and they're pretty damned awesome. Anything with that pattern (insa turbo special tracks, ziarelli extreme forest, kingpin extreme trekker etc etc) is going to rule offroad.

If Top Gear can use them to make an old Rolls Royce and a Jag into half decent offroaders, I'm sure they'll do ok on a GV.

I think the best modification for even larger tyres is a virtual lift - where the wheel arches are enlarged. I have no idea if this is piratical on a Grand Vitara, though. It's actually relatively easy on an SJ, but I can't comment on what's possible on a GV.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Mattmcgrath365
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Mattmcgrath365 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Thank you for the advice has got me looking.
I've got not serious off road tyres on the back but they are for off oaf and I took it to a place near mine which is an abandoned field (HUGE) but it goes up and down high and low and I keep on catching my rear diff and silencer just after the catalytic converter.
She won't get stuck just troopers on didn't get stuck or struggle once and it was hard terrain and I'm wondering will tyres help that I don't think it will, will help great for great but in terms of ride height I'm stuck any other ideas rough prices ?
Thanks

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 pm

I doubt that it'd be too difficult to fit a 2" lift kit:

http://www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/grand-v ... _1182.html

Any mechanic would probably be able to do it in a couple of hours. It's all pretty much bolt on, I think.

Have a word with jimnybits, bits4vits, dave at llama4x4 and see if any of them can fit their kit for you.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map