Great idea? Safe? Death on wheels? Ghetto coilovers.

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Great idea? Safe? Death on wheels? Ghetto coilovers.

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Not sure if anyone here has done this idea but I bet it HAS been done...

Use a Vitara chassis and running gear and plonk your SJ body on it.
If it ticks over...leave it

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:08 pm

ScottieJ wrote:For starters unless you use oil shocks it's kinda asking for trouble welding to a pressurized gas shock body, it could go boom even if nitrogen is inert.
True, I didn't even think about that part! My thinking was more along the lines of - make a set of spring mounts that sit *around* the shocks, and don't actually weld to them at all. Then I thought - coilovers are nice, but are they even necessary? Can't a traditional separate coil/shock setup be done more easily?

At this point, it's all theoreticals. I have an idea in my head for a design where the shock sits inside a spring perch that isn't welded to the shock *at all* - it literally just sits inside. But then again, I have so many conflicting ideas, at the moment I'm just trying to sort out in my head what is and isn't viable.

For example, one idea is to make trailing arm mounts on the axle that rotate, so that when the axle articulates, there's almost no bush compression - allowing for more articulation and better tyre load on the ground (and theoretically more traction). Viable? Dunno. I have a theoretical design in my head. Doesn't mean it's gonna work.
ScottieJ wrote:Would be a cool project but it's going to take a shit load of time and effort to design and fabricate it with good geometry.
Yeah, that I agree with completely! I've been looking at a fortrak conversion on hpoc.co.uk, and monstertruckman's hilux conversion, and frankly they're easy to do at first glance. The issue is not fabrication, but getting geometry right so that pinion angles are maintained, rear steer is avoided and so on.

Hopefully parrot, monstertruckman and fingers can help work out the details, as they've all done coil conversions - but I wanna work as much of this out as I can myself. Because I'm a geek like that! So right now I'm in the process of researching...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:14 pm

donkeychomp wrote:Not sure if anyone here has done this idea but I bet it HAS been done...

Use a Vitara chassis and running gear and plonk your SJ body on it.
Yeah there's a fella just down the road from me with a KJA body on a LWB 16v Vit chassis.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ektoz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by ektoz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:23 pm

Bump!!, I have seen a guy putting a threaded sleeve on the rancho shock and a sliding cup on top.
I cannot find it anymore, was very good idea
Don't grow up, it's a trap
My build thread:
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/forum1/vi ... hp?t=10402