1988 Samurai Build in Utah, USA

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: 1988 Samurai Build in Utah, USA

Post by donkeychomp » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Looking good...gotta love friends like that!
If it ticks over...leave it

UT410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by UT410 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:20 am

Hey all, I'm back on the Samurai build. I put it into storage shortly after starting this thread and it sat there until a few weeks ago.

A buddy and I worked out a labor trade. I painted the interior of his "new" home and he is going to tackle the build. He's got the better end of the deal! The previous owners of the house did not take care of it and it took about 200 hours of labor to get the house into good shape again.

There is certainly less worked needed on the Zuk.

Anyway, I will start posting the progress. The pic above is a couple Saturdays ago. We're a little further along now.
Last edited by UT410 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For more of my build, check out my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/kungfubowler/

UT410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by UT410 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:24 pm

After the axles were pulled some bracketry was removed from the front frame rails and then prepped for reinforcement plates.

As well, the front tube crossmember was sleeved with 1.25" schedule 80 pipe. I think it comes out to 40-something mm OD. I picked it up from a local home improvement store.

Then onto frame reinforcements:

I'm using Je*p YJ springs and a Trail Tough YJ kit. You can see the missing link (drop shackles above).

We fitted it all together, bumper, shackle bump stop, etc. The crush sleeves in the frame (for mounting the bumper and such) were also welded in.

I ordered the incorrect spring bushings so that stopped us from putting the springs on and getting the front axle in place. They have arrived so that's next up.
For more of my build, check out my Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/kungfubowler/

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Great work, it's really coming on, I like the re-enforcement it looks like a really neatly done and should certainly strengthen up the front end,

UT410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by UT410 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:27 pm

Tramp wrote:Great work, it's really coming on, I like the re-enforcement it looks like a really neatly done and should certainly strengthen up the front end,
Thanks!

Springs mounted

Wheels in their estimated spots for mock up.

This is about how far they'll stick out.

This is a bit too far forward. It's going to contact the front of the fender during compression. It's about 3" forward of the stock axle. Plan is to move it back one inch.

Here it is moved back one inch. I think (hope) there'll be less issue as far as contact. The plan was to squeeze out as much extra wheelbase with the spring/axle swap, as possible, but the axle an inch further just looked like it would hit pretty easily. As well, it looked a bit goofy.

There's an issue with the rear axle, too. It's pushed back as far as possible on the spring pad (it has 3 spring pin holes) but it's definitely going to contact the gas tank skid. I picked up another housing to see if we could keep it at that position without hitting but it may have to come forward.

I'd love to use the housing with the diff guard but the stretch is more important. I've been looking at other options for protecting the housing but most of them look like they stick out too far, too. Luckily, this is something I'll be able to sell easily to recoup the money spent.

Still, we will see. Nothing is permanent.

That's it for now. Thanks.

Martin86
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Martin86 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 am

Impressive :smokin:

ektoz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by ektoz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:37 pm

nice work bud! looking very nice so far!
Don't grow up, it's a trap
My build thread:
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/forum1/vi ... hp?t=10402

UT410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by UT410 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Slow/no progress. The TCase has been pulled. Some reinforcing is going to be done on the frame brackets and the cross-member. Then a regeared unit 6.5:1 is going in.

When the kids were asleep I designed some tow mounts for a buddy to plasma cut. He had some input, as well, so the design will be a little different.

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:17 am

UT410 wrote:Slow/no progress. The TCase has been pulled. Some reinforcing is going to be done on the frame brackets and the cross-member. Then a regeared unit 6.5:1 is going in.
If you're going to be reinforcing things:

T-case guard

Might not strictly be necessary, but you seem to have a thing for building your Zuk to be strong, so I thought I'd suggest it... :D
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

UT410
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by UT410 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:45 pm

I am looking for a couple parts. This weekend's progress. Saturday was a 12-hour day of parts chasing, cleaning nasty/gunky parts, etc. Thankfully, there's some progress that can be seen.

I spent a few hours Saturday night getting the parts cleaned. Every time I do it I think, "I should get a parts washer." but I never do. Been doing it this way for 20+ years.

Here's the after shot of all the parts. I did get some primer and paint on some of the more visible parts.

Left-overs.

The front cross member was cut and this LROR part got installed. I am going to run a high pinion in front so it may not have been needed but I'd rather get it done now and not need it.

ZOR's P-liner, installed, as well.

Next time there's photos of this thing it should be complete.