Nothing is ever simple!

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Nothing is ever simple!

Post by Gilly_SJ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Had my Sammy axles on for a couple of outings now, decided to put the freewheeling hubs off my 413 axles, only to find they appear to be behind the bearing/axle bolts. So i now need to buy a fecking huge (51mm??) socket to remove them.

My other option, as I'm convinced there is some play in the kingpins, is swap the entire hub assembly onto the Sammy axles hoping to kill two birds!

Also had to cut my towbar off as all 4 captive nuts in the chassis decided to become one with the bolts. Plus note is I'm half way through making some 10mm plate recovery points :doublethumbs:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Nothing is ever simple!

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Gilly_SJ wrote:Had my Sammy axles on for a couple of outings now, decided to put the freewheeling hubs off my 413 axles, only to find they appear to be behind the bearing/axle bolts. So i now need to buy a fecking huge (51mm??) socket to remove them.
:hmm: :hmm: eh? are you sure, once the end cap is removed (6 10mm bolts) then the 6 12mm bolts that hold the hub on are removed then the only thing there should be is a circlip on the end of the CV shaft.

The only thing you need to take the bearing nut off (ps it's 50mm) for is to replace the wheel bearings.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:23 pm

something was holding them back, they would spin around the half shaft but not come off! Ill check again for the circlip but they seemed to be stuck further back than the end of the shaft if you know what I mean.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:43 pm

There's nothing else to hold them on apart from the bolts and circlip, sometimes the cirlcip is covered in grease and hard to spot, might have just missed it.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:49 pm

Probably just stuck on with the gasket or silicone.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Gilly_SJ
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Gilly_SJ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:14 pm

it was loose in the sence it would move around, must be the circlip, ill have another gander.

However looking at changing the king pins it may be easier to swap my known good Kingpins and hub.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:28 pm

If there's only a small amount of play you might be able to just remove some shims from the kingpins if there's shims fitted.

Keep any that you take out though, you'll need them if/when you need to fit new ones.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!