I going to paint my LJ but need advice

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
Pishadeperro
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

I going to paint my LJ but need advice

Post by Pishadeperro » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Got the LJ all rubbed down and can't find anyone to paint it, so I'm going to do it myself, what could possible go wrong!!!!
I need advice on what equipment to buy, I've seen compressors and guns for sale on ebay for around £150, 50 litre tanks etc....will they do the job?
As it's a flat colour, baby blue and I have no doors or roof it can't be that hard as I'm not after a concours job, anyone got any constructive advice???

SZ5
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: I going to paint my LJ but need advice

Post by SZ5 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:41 pm

First thing, buy a decent mask / breather system. Paint is nasty stuff especially the 2 pack stuff. I also 'lurk' over on the MIG Welding Forum where they have a tutorial on paint spray techniques. http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/spray-painting.htm

Years ago I brush painted a series 2 landrover and achieved a reasonable finish. Whatever you do it's all about the time you take to prepare the body up making sure it is as good as you caan get it before starting the colour coats.

Don't forget to keep us posted :thumbup:
Just washed, not a leak from the engine!

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:00 pm

If your going matt/flat finish.

Have you bought the paint already?

If not Have a look at montana black graffiti paint. They have a whole list , aerosols and very good price wise.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:54 pm

andyrew wrote: Have a look at montana black graffiti paint. They have a whole list , aerosols and very good price wise.
Got the agree, did my old SJ<< in their paint
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good