Damn relays...

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Damn relays...

Post by d86 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:43 pm

kev was correct in his earlier reply..you just missed the answer....

as the fan is a heavy load (even after the relay)the draw of current is causing the weakest link to get hot (point of less resistance..i.e fuse and holder)..

blade fuses are fine for low draw positions lights horn ect.but high draw components require somthing larger..

example.open the bonnet on a modern car look in the fusebox near the battery the fuses will be huge in size but not always in amps..
so the contact area in the holder is larger eliminating the heat build up at the point of contact
i.e the holder.

so back to kev's bothers 4track same amp fuse but of a phisically larger size and better contact areas (bolt in)...see simples..

class dismised..
tony :P

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Cheers for the advice tony...

I was just wondering as it was working perfectly with a 25a fuse for at least 6 months with my vit engine in, and I had the same setup with my 1300 engine before that... I've had the leccy fan in for well over 3 years!

It's been melting the fuses, and after putting the new fuse holder in it's working fine!
I wired the broken fuse holder across a spare (half charged) battery, and the fuse wiggles quite a bit, and gives off a visible spark!
It doesn't get hot, but I'm sure when it's rattling around in the engine bay it'll be sparking a lot and getting hot enough to melt!!!

I did a 30+ mile drive in it today (which would normally equal a melted fuse/fan cutting out and overheating) and it works good :D

cheers anyhoo :)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:49 pm

hi twiss,
i'm off on holiday on wednesday but will try to drop a heavy duty fuse over to u tomorrow if your about, if not is there some where i could leave it 4u?
kev

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Hey cheers Kev, don't worry mate, I've put a new fuse holder and fuse in and it's back to working again :)

Runs nice and cool

Cheers for the though though buddy :mrgreen:
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:22 am

i agree with Tony except it will always over heat at the fuse/holder because its the point of highest resistance as only a push fit, not the lowest resistance.
a small point i know, but i'm picky. :roll:
i'll leave some of the fuses in my sj if we ever end up at same site u r more than welcome to 1.
glad its all ok at moment.
cheers kev

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:31 pm

Hmmm technical.

Nothing do with this matter but i was routing round under my dash refitting the stereo and gently moved some wires out of the way only to find it wouldnt start again. It turns out some bright spark had fitted an immobiliser in the past and I had shorted it out with my "gentle" wire movements.

I have now found the offending item and removed it. The wiring does seem extremly temperamental tho. I don't know why, I rewired most of it.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

d86
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by d86 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:15 pm

kev you are right..point taken no worries.

just re red it through and it was ment to read the fuse being the piont of lowest resistance.

not...

fuse and holder..sorry.

(i had been up for 22hrs at that point)

tony(where did i leave the shovel...) :P