Neat welding?

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
bluefrog
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Neat welding?

Post by bluefrog » Mon May 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Ok this might seem a daft question. Does the MOT man fail for neatness (or not) of welding.
Having never tried it befor mine isnt what you would call textbook, however, it seems to be strong enough and I think the metal would tear befor the weld gave. It just looks ragged. Any Ideas?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Neat welding?

Post by ScottieJ » Tue May 27, 2008 12:41 pm

to be honest all they will probably do is give it a bit of a whack with a hammer to check that it's solid, all that matters is that it has penetrated the metal and will hold! i've seen some really messy welding get through MOTs so you should be ok!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

bluefrog
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by bluefrog » Wed May 28, 2008 12:36 am

Thanks for the reply scottie. I'm pretty sure its strong enough , it looks more like a series of overlapping spots rather than the nice neat line it should be. I supose i'll just have to keep trying, maybe I'll get the knack befor I blow all the metal away. :roll:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed May 28, 2008 1:14 pm

well i'm sure its no worse than when i was learning to weld! Karl threw me straight in at the deep end plating up the underside of his suzuki!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zook
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zook » Wed May 28, 2008 7:02 pm

to get neat welding you just have to weld weld and weld to you get used to it setting the welder up is the most important bit you get that right your nearly there :lol: just make sure every thing your going to weld is clean

thats how scottie learn't lol :lol: and he has done some very good welds
hope that helps ya
karl

Slinkyjim
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Slinkyjim » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:52 pm

when i first started out welding and i was really crap what i used to do is just grind down the weld a bit then go over with some silocone or decorators courk then go over that with some hamerite or underseal it used to fool the MOT man every time but just keep practicing you'll get it in end, a good welder always helps too and dont bother with that flux wire always try and use gas if ya can.
IF IN DOUBT GIMME A SHOUT