towing and transfer boxes

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: towing and transfer boxes

Post by Highlander » Wed May 22, 2013 2:38 pm

There are NO grey areas :D

If you are towing a car with someone in it then its their responsibility to ensure that car is road legal.

if its your car then both of you are in the wrong, them for driving a non road legal vehicle and you for allowing them to do so.

If you are towing an empty car then its your responsibility.

p.s. re: the mirrors thing

I've towed Samurai's behind vans, landrovers and saloon cars, they are too narrow to see anything anyway so you don't need extended mirrors :hahaha:

I still sometimes do use the a-frame for short trips :oops: and sometimes you need to take a really sharp corner just to make sure the Suzuki is still there! :hahaha:

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed May 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Highlander wrote:I still sometimes do use the a-frame for short trips :oops: and sometimes you need to take a really sharp corner just to make sure the Suzuki is still there! :hahaha:
Don't you mean someone who looks a lot like you still uses one...?

:lol:

The guy who looks a lot like me seems to remember the same being true of towing an SJ with a mk2 Yaris D-4D. Effortless - easy to forget it's there! Might have even managed to burn a few people up off the lights. But then, 140ft/lb of torque, you'd be surprised what that little beast can tug! Yaris turbodiesel towing SJ is faster than SJ under it's own steam!!!

God bless anyone who puts real power in a small vehicle. :rockin:

PS - 45mpg! More fuel efficient to TOW the SJ than to drive it!!!! :hahaha:
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 pm

yes someone who looks like me :)

actually i've been stopped quite a few times over the years whilst using a-frames (illegally) both by the police and VOSA and never had one word said about it.

However I also know someone who was stopped towing an uninsured car with one who got six points and a £200 fine for no insurance!

I suspect the main factor is that a few of the police and VOSA etc are not quite up on their a-frame laws therefore it usually gets overlooked as long as your tow car is legal etc.

The last three times i've been stopped was to check I had towing entitlement, once they saw on my license I had they never bothered with anything else.

So yes its illegal but i think you'd need to be really unlucky to get done for it unless something goes wrong.

If you have an accident whilst using one you are in the poo! :)

I've towed Scorpios and vans with one and to be honest i don't find any problem with them at all.

The only time i'd say i've felt it slightly unsafe was whilst towing a suzuki with a Sierra, the Sierra is only 1200Kgs and I could feel the Suzuki trying to shove it on when braking or slowing down.

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Wed May 22, 2013 6:53 pm

I use to use my a frame all the time but boy am i glad ive got my transporter now:)
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed May 22, 2013 7:39 pm

turbo-tom wrote:I use to use my a frame all the time but boy am i glad ive got my transporter now:)
Do you mean your dad used to? That's ok it's not your license :hahaha:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Well yeah he does :hahaha: when I get my full lisence I cant even tow a chocolate teapot!
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 pm

turbo-tom wrote:Well yeah he does :hahaha: when I get my full lisence I cant even tow a chocolate teapot!
I *think* you'll be ok.
the government wrote:Licences issued from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.
Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driv ... ou-can-tow

It seems that licences issued after Jan 2013 do have additional restrictions, but you can still tow up to 750kg unbraked, or braked you can tow 3500kg MAM (maximum authorised mass - the max plated weight of the car and the trailer combined).

So as long as the chocolate teapot weighs under 750kg fully loaded, you're ok. Needs brakes if it's any heavier than that, but make sure you check that your teapot is properly lit (decent lightboards go for a few quid on ebay) the tyre pressures are ok, the load is properly balanced (the centre of gravity should be *just* forward of the axle to prevent your teapot from fishtailing).

There's loads of info available on the DVLA, VOSA and direct.gov websites about towing, so make sure your teapot is fully legal or you could lose your licence!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map