SJ410 -1985 'Cabrio', engine rebuild

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

SJ410 -1985 'Cabrio', engine rebuild

Post by binge » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:28 pm

Hello all,

As some of you may well now, I've started rebuilding the F10a engine in my little SJ due to it overheating at the weekend.
I thought I'd make a thread for the build so I can keep all my questions in one, related topic.

The SJ started out when I picked it up, as a fairly standard, and slightly tatty example of the 410 soft top.
A few select holes in the obvious places, and just a very under-maintained little anus overall.

First job was to start finding all the rust. So pulled all the arches off, and as I removed the rear canopy, near enough every popper broke, leaving me little options to putting it back on.
So with a bit of trimming, and (for the time being), a piece of marine ply, I've made it into a pick up type truck.

New tyres, and a set of (I think) early Vitara Wideboy rims, but not sure

And then I very stupidly bought and fitted a set of these (DOH!)

One of the lads I work with were getting rid of a set of old Corbeau recliners. So I took them off his hands for a very fair £40.

Modified the subframes, and bolted them straight to the floor of the SJ, with some spreader plates.

After a full service, and a check over everything else, I had to get the truck back to my place in Sittingbourne. So I chucked it on the A-frame, and towed it.
I had to leave the steering lock on, as the wheels were just rolling onto full lock (no particular way). I've a feeling the silly shackles have knocked the caster angle way out!

Luckily there is enough flex in the big tyres, and play in the steering rack, to tow it carefully with the steering lock on. :lol:

Scudded it to work, and parked it up with my mate Bobbs Vitara.

I then covered all my rust repairs with some yellow hammerite, and stuck the arches back on

Couldnt decide on anywhere for the spare wheel, so decided to bolt it to the bonnet.
Mixed opinions on this, and I'm still unsure if I even like it. We'll see how it goes.

I then started having some issues with the truck getting warm. I mean really warm. To the point where I was forced to stop every 2 miles, while out green laning. :x

So that's where it got to by Saturday last week...

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: SJ410 -1985 'Cabrio', engine rebuild

Post by binge » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:39 pm

I spent Sunday, with my pal Bobb, checking the engine for a reason to all this overheating.

First thing I did, was whip the rad off, and make sure water could flow through it.
The next thing I did was remove the cam-belt and then take the water pump out. Which was in perfect working order too.

So the next choice was to take the head off.
As the thing needed a clutch anyway. I just decided to pull the whole engine out.

The head gasket didn't look too bad. Which is a little worrying, as it's leading me towards thinking the head is cracked.

I've just put an order in with my friend who managed the local MPD, and I'm getting all the bits I need to rebuild the engine, for around £150, which is super cheap.
Parts I will be replacing:

Head gasket set
Piston ring set
Sump gasket
Water Pump
Oil Pump
Con Rod Shells
Cam Belt kit
Clutch kit

I was also due to have the head sent off for a pressure test and skim, but the pricing was mistaken, and it turns out it's going to be about £110, for the work doing to the head, that does include two cycles in a very good parts cleaner though.

My only issue is, if the head turns out to be cracked, I've still got to foot the bill.
I'm now in two minds whether to just buy a head I know is good, and pay for it skimming and cleaning.

Thoughts?

Ben

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:57 am

Okay, I think I am going to want a new cylinder head, as looking at my head gasket, there are no obvious signs of a break.
The water pump was also fine, and the water ways, although blocked, were still chaneling water.
So I am fairly certain I've got a damaged or cracked head to be causing this over heating problem.

After a known GOOD head for a 410 if anyone has one.

Thanks,

Ben

Skovelev
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Skovelev » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Dident you pressure test your cooling system before you took i apart? I have had an overheating problem on my 410. But it turned out it was the radiator filler cab. I dident open at the right pressure?

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Little SJ looks very nice...those are Vit wheels, and I'd put the spare on the tailgate or inside the pickup area.
If it ticks over...leave it

sharon
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by sharon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Let me know how your head goes and the costs of it please, getting my 413 looked at on Friday as I have an overheating problem too, I'm only on sheppey so just a 15 minute drive from you. Cheers

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 am

I'm picking up a rear cage this week, So I will probably re-locate the reg up onto that, and then fit the spare to the middle of the tailgate again.

Just had a 410 TinTop come in through work. I pulled the engine out yesterday. Clearly had a head-gasket fail on it (Mayo in water, and clean breaks in gasket).
Head, I was hoping to get skimmed and pressure tested, as I've a good feeling my one is cracked, but dont want to spend the £50 odd to get it tested, just to find out it's buggered.

But this other head, has had all 4 spark plug holes stripped. Gutted! :(

So still looking for another (good) cylinder head for the little enigne.

Ben

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Right, had a good look at this replacement head I removed yesterday, and it's cracked (Externally), so defo had it.

So now it's back to the original head I had, which I am still unsure of, dont want to spend the £110 for a pressure check and skim to be told it's cracked also.
So I'm after a good F10a head.
I'm driving to Northampton (From Kent) tomorrow afternoon, so if there is one relatively on route of there, that'd be great if I could collect at the same time.

Ben

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 pm

I have an assortment of F10 heads but of unknown condition.

I've never actually known an f10 head to crack but that's not to say it can't happen.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Hmm, in which case, I might just take a risk and book mine in for a pressure check and skim. I hear such mixed views on these. Some people say they always crack.

I think over time, I will be collecting the bits I need to throw a derv in it. We pick up 306 diesels all the time, and we also get a lot of Pilot LDVs in.

Ben