MG410 Noisy fan

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

MG410 Noisy fan

Post by courior » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:27 am

Hi all,

I have the F10A motor in a Maruti, it used to have really noisy tappets so couldn't really hear much else while it was running.. But anyway sorted that and now there is a new noise when i get above about 2k rpm.. i thought it was the running gear as it sounds like a rumbling bearing but more plasticy (if thats even a word), but i realised it did it sitting still revving on the spot.. Upon inspection it seems like the fan is making this noise. I thought it was the shroud but thats tight and doesnt make a noise if u wobble it. So its gotta be the fan itself. The bolts that hold it in are all done up, and the belt is the correct tension, it doesnt look damaged etc.. The noise is loud enough to hear while driving with the windows open though and really get on my t*ts.

So my Questions:

1.Is this a normal noise? (i never had a car with a constant fan before)
2.Can it be bodged to be more quiet?
3.Should i maybe go for an electric fan?

Cheers all!!

Courior
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: MG410 Noisy fan

Post by Edweird » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:00 am

I've never noticed my fan making a 'plasticy' noise. You do hear is blowing air around a lot if you rev the engine when stationary but driving along the road noise, engine noise and my stereo drown it out.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by courior » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Just to give this thread a bit of closure... I sorted out the problem today!

The noise now had become so loud it was heard over the stereo and road noise. So drove it into my garage and started prodding bits of engine with it running at fast idle (where it was loudest) to see if i could find the culprit.. And i did.. It was the cam belt cover. it was rattling against the head of the motor. So i took off the rad (swung it out the way) and in the process snapped a bolt that hold the rad bracket on. Took off the fan and the bottom pully and removed the front half of the cover. Then i found that the bolt on the right that bolts the cover to the head was a bit loose. When i tried to tighten it up it just spun, so the previous owner must of stripped the thread when they put a new head on it. The good news is that the cam belt looked new and i managed to bodge it up with some rubber so now the cam cover is solid as a rock. Put it all back together and the motor is silky smooth and whisper quiet! To get the snapped bolt out, there was 2/3 turns of thread poking out of the mount, so i screwed on a bolt and plug welded the nut to the stud and voila it came right out.

2 Little questions for those who have read this far :) ... 1) do the bolts that hold the cam cover on go deep into the motor so much they can leak oil?

2) The big accessorry crank pully, i did it up VERY tight (no torque wrench)... is this something i should do again with a torque wrench to be sure?

Cheers,

Courior
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Daymaker led lights

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:46 pm

1 I would say no

2 I just did as tight as I could
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by courior » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

OK great. That's what I did just as tight as I could. Done a few miles today. Seems ok :) and oh so quiet than before.
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Daymaker led lights