Not striking up

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
The Bird Man
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Not striking up

Post by The Bird Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:57 am

Me again folks. Right I've manged to get the new 1.6 engine and gear box all in and aligned straight. Now I'm having problems getting it to fire up. I've only got the basics wired up at the moments. Battery, starter, alternator, coil, carb, distributer. I'm getting a good spark on all 4 plugs and fuel to the carb, the battery had been on charge and is full. Any ideas what else I can try, I've been mucking around on it for three days now and getting fed up with it all to be honest. Many thanks, Eddie :D

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Not striking up

Post by courior » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:35 am

dizzy cap on backwards?
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights

The Bird Man
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by The Bird Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:51 am

I mucked around with the dizzy cap and put it on 180 the other way, all I got was back firing.

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm thinking that if you have a nice fat spark to all 4, and the battery turns the engine over briskly you can eliminate electrics. As above you are sure the 4 sparks are to the correct cylinder sequence, you've tested that.
I'm sure you've checked static timing, but can you trust what you get? Make sure tdc mark really is that on no1 (with care, plugs out, stick of wood onto no1 piston, just to confirm wheel mark actually is tdc).
So it's fuel/air then? Fuel in may not mean fuel through - I'd check tank breathing, or bypass and run fuel from a temporary supply to carb intake. If there's any air filtering i'd take all that off. If still no maybe get inside the carb and ensure it's all clean and clear? And is it fresh fuel?
You must be very close!!- it'll probably be one small niggly thing.
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas

The Bird Man
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by The Bird Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Currently checking if TDC is set at piston number 1 but can't see any timing marks on the cam or crank sprockets. Unless it's the piece that the big crank pully slots onto and the tiny little notch taken out of the cam sprocket ? Would these be them ? There is an arrow on the block behind the crank sprocket and a notch on the outer casing for the cam so I know what they have to line up with but not sure what marks there are on the sprockets themselves, also if set right both should be pointing in the 12 o'clock position right ?
Last edited by The Bird Man on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bird Man
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by The Bird Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Think I sorted it now, found a diagram on Google.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=suzuk ... B341%3B650

When all the timing marks are aligned the rotor arm is pointing to number 4 on my engine. 1342 is the firing order I thought :S Oh I should mention it's a Weber manual carb :)

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:10 pm

I've put this together, hope it may help.

2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

The Bird Man
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by The Bird Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Hello Darrell, thank-you very much for putting that together, much appreciated ;) Though I am even more confused now as when I turned the crankshaft to line the pully up to the timing mark on the cover and checked the position of the rotor arm it was pointing in the right position (number 1) :S How can this be. When I had the timing belt cover off and all the sprockets aligned to the correct marks the rotor arm was definitely pointing to number four on the dizzy cap. Hmmmm..........

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 pm

When you have the timing belt cover off the marks are for valve timing only not ignition timing.

The most annoying thing is they say remove valve cover to make sure it's on the compression stroke (rockers loose). Last time I helped someone with that we just put a bit of hose pipe over the spark plug hole and blow down the hose. Resistance = compression stroke. Low tech but seemed to work, unless we were just lucky. Saved trying to seal the rocker cover again!
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

The Bird Man
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by The Bird Man » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Ahhhh, yes of course it is, stupid me !!! Think I've been spending too much time on this little suzuki, not thinking straight :roll: Hmmmm so if that's right, what else can I also check. I've played with the dizzy itself adjusting it a fraction at a time, I sometimes get it mis-firing when I go too far. I've also made a temporary supply of petrol direct to the carb. The only thing I can possibly think of now is the carb, but I don't have a clue about them or how they really work nor how to strip one down.