Su carb conversion complete

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Su carb conversion complete

Post by chan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:18 pm

binge wrote:If it's the hole closest to the passenger side, I've seen loads of SJ heads with a longer bolt, and a nut on the inside (Get to it by taking the rocker cover off).
Little bit bodgey, but saves messing around trying to get a welder down there etc.

You can turn the dizzy by just taking the 12mm retaining bolt right out, it comes apart there too.

I understand what you mean about the bolt! Good idea I will have to try that! And I can't believe I was taking the whole dizzy off to turn it when I could of just slid the whole unit out of the case!! :oops: well thank you I've learnt something valuable today!!

It wasn't just the o ring on the dizzy leaking oil as it's still leaking! It's ethier the rocker cover gasket or fuel pump gasket! A process of elimination I suppose!

After making the manifold I'm extremely tempted to make myself a 421 stainless exhaust manifold

Thanks for your useful advice!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Nice work on the inlet! What size tube did you use? I've got a few inlets spare and need to convert my samurai over to an SU so might have a go myself. Haven't got a TiG bit have a friend who does :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:28 pm

chan wrote:
binge wrote: And I can't believe I was taking the whole dizzy off to turn it when I could of just slid the whole unit out of the case!! :oops: well thank you I've learnt something valuable today!!

Happens to the best of us. I did the same. But after much burning of my hands trying to get down the back of the engine, I left it. It was a friend who showed me the easy way. haha!

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 am

closest tube i found on the bay was 57.2mm outside diameter with a wall thickness of 6.4mm.

6.4mm x2 =12.8mm 12.8mm - 57.2mm = 44.4mm

and we all know the SU hif 44 is 44mm/ 1/1.75 inch :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Rou ... 2580758007

heres the link to the seller and then you can select what sizes of tube you would like.
i went for a thick side wall to retain heat and i used 10mm thick plate for the flanges, this could be of been thinner but thats what i used.

id also not worry about removing as much material as physically possible give the welder plenty of meat to weld to and once its done you can get in there with a small air sander or dremel and open it out a considerable amount! i mean its no race engine but every little helps

i dont know much about welding aluminium but the welder i took it to said he had to heat the whole manifold to a high temperature weld some then reheat the manifold again and keep it hot while welding. im guessing its because it could crack if the heat is to concentrated in one area?

one thing id suggest if you do end up making one... the flange on the manifold id drill and tap the correct size hole for an m8 1.25 aluminium studs, wind them in flush with the back of the flange and dob weld to keep them in place. i had to think about being able to get bolts through the holes without fouling on the manifold. and without having to strip the carb to bits everytime you want to take it off, but if it had studs on the flange you could make it more compact and a neater set up. do you understand? im not good at explaining things in writing.

heres a quick drawing of what i should of done on the flange... i no thats not a hif 44 lol just for an example

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:54 am

Any progress with your choke termination, Chan? I'm still gathering bits for my SU switch-over. Stuck on the little toggle thing that the choke cable terminates into on carb. I mean, what chance have I got of finding that if I don't even know what it's called :lol:
Found the abutment plate (Twiss posted) off mini-spares, but it's a shameful 22 quid, yours was a lot less I recall?
Throttle cable - will a 'Universal' do this OK.
Still no idea what I'm going to do re air intake/filtering side, but probably end up with a 'get-me-home' solution (sock in a tube) then do something proper at leisure. Wish I had a decent scrappie nearby, could have a wander and get inspired.
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Help Douglas I've sorted my air filter now.
As for the choke I'm awaiting delivery of a small pinch bolt from a mini su carb which you will find the link to below :)

I know when I brought my throttle cable bracket the guy said they were hand made and was selling them for £10 + £2 postage! I must of been very lucky to find it. Keep looking and I'm sure you will find a nice one.

A universal throttle cable will be fine but I would see if you can get hold of a 90 degree metal bend as shown in my pictures. I'll see if I can find one and link you.

Choke pinch bolt http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0876821057

djc
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by djc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:52 am

Cheers Chan. Got the choke cable thing, thanks for link.
Here's where I'm up to... no big rush at the moment (too busy). Found a 90 degree bend on ebay (a bike part), may try that. Plan to make my own plate to mount throttle cable - as you say 2mm steel sheet, vice, ... gaffa tape :lol:
Need breather filter, hoses (prob 6mm and 8mm?), hose clips, a throttle cable that will fit both ends, and the air filtering side. I have an intake adapter that came with one of my SUs (we do collect them, yes?). So that should be OK, need a cone filter as a starter then can play with mods to have a more permanent air-side solution. (I bet the temp one stays for at least a year).
My current Aisin is an oddball - it used to tickover way too high, now it's too low. Auto-choke used to stick on even when warm, now I have none at all. Likely to do with it standing 3 years before I got it and now it's being used everything is getting un-bunged.
More news as it breaks :D
Straight n shiny '85 410 soft top.

Douglas

chan
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by chan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:30 pm

excellent douglas! cant wait to see the pictures!

ive got lots of new shiny bit coming so ill text you and show you the pics when done

oh and fitted my choke cable that nipple works brilliant!