A Secure front recovery point on a Vitara LWB............

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

A Secure front recovery point on a Vitara LWB............

Post by RickUK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Would like some help,advice on adding a secure front recovery point on my 1998 Vitara LWB,i dont have a winch or anything like that,basically the only thing i have on the front of the motor is the lashing ring that comes mounted on them as standard.The lashing ring is sound and very secure on the chassis but its not accepted for what i want to do with the motor.

So this is my dilema can you advice me on how i can get over this problem,would it be a case of welding some form of plate onto the chassis so that i can add a shackle that type of thing or could a Jate ring be added easily onto the chassis ??? any suggestions would be most welcome.

I also had to add some form of rear recovery point but once again the motor did not have a towbar fitted,pretty certain i have located one,so basically all i require is sorting the front recovery point on.

The requirements for the job that i am looking at doing mentions that the towrope and shackles 'must' be 2.5 times the vehicles weight,my shackles and rope well exceed these weight limits,so those are not a problem.

Any suggestion about how i can get around a front recovery point would be ,ost welcome.

Thanks
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: A Secure front recovery point on a Vitara LWB...........

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:00 pm

You found a tow bar? Thanks for letting me know after posting in the wanted section...
If it ticks over...leave it

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:58 am

donkeychomp wrote:You found a tow bar? Thanks for letting me know after posting in the wanted section...
On friday you mentioned in my wanted advert for a towbar ''Got one somewhere for a 1.6 swb Vitara but I'm sure it'll fit. Will have a look tomorrow.'' but no further reply from yourself,someone else did also mention that it was possible that a SWB one may or may not fit the LWB.Thanks for letting me know after posting 'Will have a look tomorrow'

Confused.com as no further reply back from yourself to my wanted advert,its not 100% certain that i may have found one either,as once again someone who is not a member mentioned that they also may or may not have a towbar as yet they also have to confirm.Hence the loose term 'may' have found one.

So i guess its best for me to say 'No longer looking for a Towbar' although technically not 100% correct at this moment in time.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Regarding the recovery points
Bits 4 Vits used to do a long threaded bar with recovery points on the ends.
The bar would go through the front chassis cross member and worked quite well as far as I can remember
Not sure if he still does them though to be honest
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."