Fwb's SJ410 Build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Fwb2700
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Fwb's SJ410 Build

Post by Fwb2700 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:28 am

Hello i speak to you from the far far far away land of New Zealand. hopefully most of you know where i am talking about but i guess a lot of you wont.

I thought i better join the forums after a lot of reading of all the great suzuki infomation you have here. Seems to be the best place to help my with my sj.

Now abit about myself.
I am a 23 year old electrician now more a telecommunications technician. I do the wonderful sport of smallbore target shooting and have done since i was 10years old. I already have my international judges lisence, Coaching quailifications and a fair bit of international experience. I also do a fair bit of backyard mechanic stuff being a tradesman i try to do everything myself and hate using quailified technicians..

Now my truck.
I have recently purchased from a old workmate who had to move away a 1984 SJ410q. Unfortunatly it had been sitting in his backyard uncovered for the last 3 years without moving. It cost me a grand total of NZ$150.00 Approx 70quid. It came with no roof. the standard 1ltr engine and a rolcage made for it but never fitted. Also a semi perminant loan of a 200a mig welder. so a bloody good buy.
The Bad, when i went to pick it up the breaks were completly siezed and had 2 flat tyres. Managed to drive it out of the yard in 4wd then pumped the tyres up using a mates onboard compresor. Came with a a frame so we towed it home which loosened the breaks a fair bit.

Now the challenge started a complete rebuild. Currently the vechle is aplit up all over my garage and back yard. I am lucky enough to have a massive garage which you will see in the pics approx 7mx16m.

The reason i have joined the forum is for a bit of advise and to basically share my progress.

Pics of progress below

How i brought it

what it is now

1984 Suzuki SJ410q Winch Truck (Work in Progress)

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Hello from far far far away

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:20 am

Hello :welcome: nice find. Enjoy
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:33 am

Welcome to the club! I think you are now our 3rd Kiwi perhaps? Progress looks good, big fan of pictures on this forum!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Fwb2700
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Fwb2700 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:43 am

Cheers just a couple quick questions. Is there any info about extending shackles. I am trying to do a lift as cheap as I can.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:49 am

Hi, welcome. I'm from NZ too, I'm based in Masterton, and also am a Electrician. where abouts are you based mate?
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:01 am

Dont go extended shackle route, they kill springs. Have a look at this http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... =10&t=8046
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Fwb2700
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Fwb2700 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:12 am

kiwizook wrote:Hi, welcome. I'm from NZ too, I'm based in Masterton, and also am a Electrician. where abouts are you based mate?
Palmerston North so not too far away.

The reason I am considering a shackle lift is the sj is purely for off road is deregistered and will never leagally drive on the road again.

Suspension seems to already be stuffed front shocks are but have been given a set of extended ones so wanted to use them

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:59 am

If you are doing a shackle lift don't make shackles any more than 1" longer than standard
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi and welcome.

Shackles will ruin the approach and departure angles of the truck so for an offroad toy I would avoid them all together. If you want cheap lift the best way of doing it to a good standard is a set of lifted rear springs and put the old rears on the front.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:36 pm

What dan said ^^^

Im from Napier originally, but moved to the UK years and years back, now living in poland with my canadian lass and we're looking to head back over to NZ in the next year or two so if you're still rocking the SJ's i'll have to pop for a gander!
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.