Vitara front Hub help

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
CopperBottom
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Vitara front Hub help

Post by CopperBottom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Hey guys

Having a issue with my front left hub on my 94 1.6 8v vitara. I'm looking at replacing the hub but I'm unsure what type I have.... The ones fitted to the Vit at the moment are the same as these

Are these manual locking hubs or free wheeling?

Which type are regarded as the better option?

Cheers

Vitara Tim
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Vitara front Hub help

Post by Vitara Tim » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 pm

If you have these on your Vit, you have fixed drive hubs, in other words they are always locked and turning your drive shafts and front diff while your driving along, that can cause more wear and uses more fuel. I have free wheeling hubs on mine.
here's a link to a picture of free wheeling hubs. Hope this helps.

http://www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/images/ ... %20hubs.JP

CopperBottom
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by CopperBottom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:07 pm

Cheers for that

Are the drive shafts interchangeable between the two hubs?

CopperBottom
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by CopperBottom » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 am

Also? Are there any differences in strength and off road ability between fixed and free wheel hubs?

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Standard Vitaras have different length left and right driveshafts unless you have done the anvil mod. If you'd done that, then you wouldn't be asking about driveshafts...

But I think that you meant to ask if freewheeling hubs and fixed drive flange hubs are interchangeable. Answer is yes, if that's what you meant to ask.

When offroading, flanges and freewheeling hubs will act exactly the same (that is to say, they'll both keep your front wheels turning) so there's no difference between them offroad.

Fixed hub flanges are a bit stronger, as there's nothing in there to break. But Aisin freewheeling hubs are fitted to much bigger, heavier trucks (same hub, just different driveshaft spline pattern) like the Toyota Hilux, and rarely do they break on those trucks - so they're more than strong enough for Suzuki trucks.

Just don't try fitting a Hilux hub to a zuk.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map