What to do with my chassis?

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
HuwJones
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

What to do with my chassis?

Post by HuwJones » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:28 pm

Hi Guys,
I've completely stripped the chassis of my SJ410, there is only one thing left that can be removed... the waxoyl (and a seized bolt that's sheared in the thread, but that will be sorted soon).
I've been debating about what to do next... I've attacked the chassis with a grinder and paint stripping pads to remove the waxoyl and it's going well up to now. I was thinking about getting it shot blasted to clear the hard to reach places. But here is what I can't decide to do

Option A - (The cheaper option) Just get the bits I can't get at with a grinder shot blasted, then paint with anti-rust solution before painting.

Option B - (The more expensive option) Get the chassis chemically dipped, then getting it galvanised.

I haven't had a quote for sandblasting yet, but from estimating, it will cost between £50 and £120. (I get that figure from other jobs the blasting company has done for the company I work for).
But galvanising is almost three times more expensive. The galvanising process alone will cost £280 ex VAT. But the chassis needs to be 100% paint/waxoyl/shit free prior to the galvanising process. Rust can be dealt with in the "pre galvanising bath" but it doesn't work on paint. So the best option is having it chemically dipped.
I haven't been able to find anywhere in North Wales that does chemical dipping on a large enough scale to do a chassis :argh:
I can't decide. Help?! Do I do it properly, or do it properly?! Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Mainly, it's cost. I can't decide. Has anyone here galvanised a SJ chassis before? Your opinions will be much appreciated!

Huw
There's three ways of doing things,
1) The Right Way,
2) The Wrong Way
3) My Way.
2 & 3 are usually the same.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: What to do with my chassis?

Post by Ladaman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:43 pm

In my relatively short time of being a Suzuki owner and following a number of forums, I've yet to see or here of a rusty chassis.

So I'd leave it alone.

Just add paint, underseal etc... where ever you might add a bracket, drill a hole or similar.

The bodies can rust bad, but a chassis :guns:

Doh! Re read your post, you've already attacked it. :S
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Are you saying you actually have a rusty chassis??? They very rarely rust. I would just clean up the rusty bits you can get to. Primer and paint. If you get it blasted it will get rid of the protective coating from the factory.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 pm

I think the chassis are actually galvanised from the factory but it's not the same galv you see on landy chassis.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

stevepsj413
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stevepsj413 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 am

They do rust sometimes tho, as well as this "small hole" the rear end of the chassis near the fuel tank was rotted out, and the chassis was a 1995 so not even that old really.
Attachments
DSC_0059.jpg
DSC_0059.jpg (526.99 KiB) Viewed 10237 times

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:45 am

We got galvanised chassis, but the Japanese didn't - so theirs rot out a lot. I think that is the problem with the Jimny too, we didn't get galvanised chassis on the Jimny either (I *think*) so they rot out.

Just paint it, it'll outlast your SJ by a factor of 3.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

shredder
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by shredder » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:30 am

if you are going to go galvanised you need it double dip galvanised for best results, if its possible i'd shop around a bit galvanising is charged on weight (of zinc used) and that seems a little high considering the size of the chassis

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:01 pm

Anton wrote:We got galvanised chassis, but the Japanese didn't - so theirs rot out a lot. I think that is the problem with the Jimny too, we didn't get galvanised chassis on the Jimny either (I *think*) so they rot out.

Just paint it, it'll outlast your SJ by a factor of 3.
??? The jap built SJs have the same coating, all the Sjs ive worked on have it.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Ones built in Japan for the European market do, yes. But SJ's built in Japan for the Japanese domestic market (aka "JDM" zuks) weren't galvanised. I can't remember where I read that, so don't quote me on it!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Saying that though... mines a spanish samurai and the chassis is near mint
My mates got 4 or 5 spanish ones, one which was used purely for launching boats into the sea...
It needed all the pipes underneath changing as they were all rusty as hell, but the chassis was fine
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."