What brake callipers fit samurai?

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Josh-holden
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

What brake callipers fit samurai?

Post by Josh-holden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Iv got a 92 samurai. What front callipers fit it?

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: What brake callipers fit samurai?

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Almost anything from another suzuki 4x4 will fit, although if I were you I'd stick to Aisin SJ/Jimny calipers as they're easy to get hold of, easy to refurbish and they're the right size piston for a Samurai. Vitara calipers are a bit smaller, for example, so they could mess up your brake balance, GV2000 calipers are too big, and XL7 calipers probably won't fit at all.

My build thread used to have pics of me refurbishing mine, but facebook doesn't allow hotlinking anymore.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:35 pm

As part of fitting my rear axle full float kit, I will be fitting standard Samurai front discs on the rear, or even trying to fit Suzuki Ignis Sport rear discs, as they have the hand brake built in and cable operated. I will take a look when doing it.

I think I will attempt to fit the Ignis vented front discs on the front axle too, but not convinced it's such a good idea with the deep water and mud I drive in, as it may just bung up the vents.

Another little mod worth trying though. :lol:

If anyone else fancies doing that there is a dead Ignis Sport in my drive, with brakes still fitted. it won't be there for long though.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Josh-holden
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Josh-holden » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Ok, so if I went for jimny callipers would they fit the samurai carriers?

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Jimny aisin calipers are the same brake calipers suzuki fitted to SJ's. If your calipers say "Aisin" on them, then they're identical to Jimny Aisin calipers. Suzuki has been using them for 30 years at least.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Ladaman why did you go for Ignis discs up front? SJ ones are pretty big and more than enough for the job.
If it ticks over...leave it

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:52 pm

Ladaman: if you want vented discs, look at Vitara discs - no mods required, but I don't *think* they're compatible with standard SJ brake calipers because they're 7mm wider.

Later models only: http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/SUZ ... nd%20Drums

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 am

Think you want vit 16v discs and calipers for the front.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:22 am

donkeychomp wrote:Ladaman why did you go for Ignis discs up front? SJ ones are pretty big and more than enough for the job.
I haven't done it yet, but do have them ready. Mine must be getting a little tired, and with a set of standard ones going on the rear, it thought it wise to look at improving the fronts to ensure they are better, rather than equal to the rears.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Gotcha ;)
If it ticks over...leave it