Project Mud! Pick up conversion!

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Project Mud - Protection!

Post by rory-ray » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks donkey, does make you laugh when some of these poor people spend a silly amount of money on a bit of scrap metel with holes in it on ebay, all this cost me was some new drill bits, some new stainless bolts and a couple of hours, end result is something im over the moon with, next is to mock up a front undertray/diffgaurd and get that bolted in!
1994 Pick Up Converted Vitara

+2" Springs, Pro Comp Front And Rear Shocks, 31" Marshalls On 8j's, Front Winch Bumper, OMP Steering Wheel And Boss, Bucket Seats, Stripped Out, Black Bonnet With Scoop, Few Dents And Scratches, Little Rust!!!

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Project Mud - Protection!

Post by rory-ray » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Last night I made a snorkel, £15 and a couple of hours work.

Aint nothing neat or tidy but it works, that's what matters!!

+2" Springs, Pro Comp Front And Rear Shocks, 31" Marshalls On 8j's, Front Winch Bumper, OMP Steering Wheel And Boss, Bucket Seats, Stripped Out, Black Bonnet With Scoop, Few Dents And Scratches, Little Rust!!!

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Project Mud!

Post by rory-ray » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Soo heres a few progress pictures......

First of all Wednesday I finished fitting the bucket seats And cut a new stereo blank in,

It looks tight but the door closes fine

A teeny bit better than before

And this evening I had some time to do this.....

Hmmm whats happened here????

Yes, I have completed phase one of the pick up conversion!!!! the rear door is in and currently screwed into place using L brackets until next week when I pick a few other bits up that' need welding on ;) I couldont belive how easy this was to do took me a hour!

After the welding is done I got some nice black mastic to seal the top in with and I got to grab some chequer plate to cover up the holes in the rear tub eather side

Thanks for looking guysss!

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Project Mud! Pick up conversion!

Post by donkeychomp » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Now that looks cool. Was thinking of doing something similar but I still cling on to the fantasy world of me making a fastback roof! Good job there.
If it ticks over...leave it

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rory-ray » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks donkey, I was considering making up some sort of fast back roof by sewing a sj one to the standard vit top but there isn't room for error or modification!

I also was bidding on 2 hard tops, then they got up to £200+ and I thought nah, not for something im going to use off road its too much money and to much of a risk!

So I got a hardtop rear door off one of the many vits my mate breaks and got to work, I done it before with my mate so this one was quite plain sailing!

Heres a few progress pictures from today!

Cheers for looking Gentlemen!!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Can't help but notice the front number plate is still on the bonnet...
If it ticks over...leave it

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rory-ray » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:31 pm

I cant find anywere to put it without it being prone to getting smashed!! Hahah

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Just looked through this having read your question about the rear bed in the other thread.

Nice work. Love the simple but effective stuff.

Hope you've hooked up the heated rear screen on that hardtop rear door for added mod-factor!

I would probably just blank as little of the radiator as possible with the number plate and see how you get on.
I frequently blind the bottom half of my vit rad without any real difference to cooling so might be ok?

If you still have some of that waffle board material I might be up for making a set.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Looks tidy, amazed how well that door has fitted as a bulkhead. The glass looks like it just fits snug to the body.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rory-ray » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Cheers boys, yeah around the top its a real good fit, a bit of glazers mastic and it fits perfect, the bottom sides are near perfect too but im getting welded and the bottom has about a 1 inch gap so I plan to eather plate the whole metal part of the tailgate over or like I said, create some sort of dry store in the rear.