No vehicle as of yet.. but lurking!

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
robwizard
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: No vehicle as of yet.. but lurking!

Post by robwizard » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:06 am

Holy smokes.. hadn't though of that! Might have to reconsider the weighty diesel engine.. still gonna go with a Samurai though!

Cheers

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 am

If you've not had a 4x4 before, then a standard Samurai on half decent tyres will blow you away with the performance.

If and when you do go down the "modification" route, as most on here have done, it's usually because we want to, not because we have to.

My sons old Samurai is up for sale. I think it's in the Manchester area. That had a Vitara 8V engine, it's now got an external cage too. Very capable little truck.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

robwizard
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by robwizard » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Yeah I was kind of looking at getting a 4x4 and the Suzukis seem to be a good option for me based on my limited budget, the Samurai I really like the aesthetics and the more I read the more I think they are a totally awesome little vehicle! It's the mpg which lets it down though maybe? That's the only reason I was thinking about the potential diesel conversion..

Cheers

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Yeah, I get about 25mpg out of mine (that's a best guess) which I think is about average. I'd love to know what Ladaman is getting out of his M15a powered samurai - fuel economy (or lack thereof) is the only fly in the ointment for me too!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Anton wrote:Yeah, I get about 25mpg out of mine (that's a best guess) which I think is about average. I'd love to know what Ladaman is getting out of his M15a powered samurai - fuel economy (or lack thereof) is the only fly in the ointment for me too!
About three AA recoveries per tank!! :hahaha:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:40 pm

:hahaha:

Tbh the more you mod it, bigger tyres etc the worse the economy is going to be, keep the tyres narrow and around 29" and you should be able to see 28-30mpg maybe more.

I'm fitting the 1.6 16v in my Lwb, hopefully it'll be more economical than the carb engines.......not that I really care you get smiles per miles in SJs :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

robwizard
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by robwizard » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Haha on a philosophical level I think Smiles per gallon is a wonderful concept.. however I have a job which pays more in smiles than in actual money so I have to take these things into consideration.

I was thinking, musing.. mulling over, that a Samurai with an engine which I could run on diesel, veg oil, waste oil etc would be nice. I like the big, wide tires but would probably be keen to get an offroad set and a road set or something like? Also I work next door to an engineering firm and am quite partial to a bit of aluminum fabrication so though I could strip it out gradually and replace things with lovely, lightweight bits and bobs haha I don't know if lighter is better when it comes to offroad driving? Or if you need a bit of weight to hold you down? I dunno.. just thinking out loud (on a keyboard..?) Basically I just want a cool, square Samurai!

Cheers guys!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:13 pm

SJs are already nice and light......it's the aerodynamics that let them down :lol:

Lighter is always better :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

robwizard
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by robwizard » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Aerodynamics? Got a Volvo Amazon for that! Sort of.. that is absolutely horrendous on fuel though haha.

Cheers

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Ahh another Volvo lover on the forum, we have a few!! Come on let's see some pics of the Amazon

:doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!