Rear's up front?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Harding.94
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Rear's up front?

Post by Harding.94 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi all I'm after abit of advice/ help. I'm currently running Bedford Rascal springs on the rear of my Sami and (hooped) standards on the front. I recently bought a full set of standard springs but I'm debating weather to just replace the fronts as the rear's are fine. My question is, is there any way I can split the 2 spring packs and put the top leaves off the fronts on to the rear spring pack (hope that makes sense) instead of faffing about moving the mounts?

Thanks in advance,
Luke

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Rear's up front?

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Yes you can, however it will only add lift then and won't actually give you all the other benifits of running rears up front.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Harding.94
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Harding.94 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Ok thanks Scottie... In that case what's the best way of moving the mounts? Am I better off moving the rear mount back an ( and by how much?) or the fronts... Sory to be a pain.. Just want to do the job properly first time.
Thanks again,
Luke

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:40 pm

I prefer to use the original rear mount and relocate the shackle hanger further forwards, either by a weld on extension or I'm going to make some bolt on ones for mine, along the lines of my Yj hangers.

Here's how sierradan did his, not sure how long the shackles are he has used, maybe 100mm?, but I'm sure he'll chime in, you can just use stock shackles.
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.55 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (257.01 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Harding.94
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Harding.94 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks for that Scottie.. Really helpfull :thumbup: so I'm guessing Its best to mount the rear first then measure/ mark were the front needs to be relocated to?
Thanks
Luke

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:56 pm

No worries.

Between bolt centres, chassis bush bolt to chassis shackle bush bolt you want the spacing to be no less than 990mm, can go longer slightly, 995mm etc but don't go any shorter or the shackle angle will be too flat.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Harding.94
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Harding.94 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:20 am

:thumbup:

Harding.94
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Harding.94 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:20 pm

Well... What a nightmare I've had today :cry: Decided whilst I wait for some rear spring to turn up I'd fit a set of new standard front springs on just to tide me over. So I struggled getting every thing off (the sleeves in the bushes... What a pain!!) fit my new shocks and springs ( bought from Jimmy bits ) only to find out that it now sits lower than it did before :argh: :argh: to make matters even worse because it's siting lower than before my new shocks are bottoming out :argh: :er: what's the easiest/ quickest way of doing a ruf conversion? I don't realy want to drive the truck as it is because all I'll end up doing is knackering the shocks... Never been so annoyed in my life. Jimmy bits... You have one very anoyed and stressed out customer :thumbdown: :cry:

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Have you put longer shocks on?
Why not just put your old ones back on to tide you over?
What ever you do, you will need to sort your bump stops out and the position of your shocks, as even with lifted springs you could end up inverting your new springs, which isn't good.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Harding.94
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Harding.94 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Well the shocks are supposed to be standard ride height but I've got a feeling the plus 2's. I would put the standard shocks on but the when I undid the top nut its brought the threads out with it. Tried running a die down it with no luck :cry: I'll have another look at it again tomorrow. What's everyone's opinions on extended shackles? Would that get me me out of the brown stuff shock absorber wise for now?

Thanks,
Luke