Need more flex

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Josh-holden
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Need more flex

Post by Josh-holden » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Iv got a samurai with 2/3" lift springs, what's the best way to get more flex?

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Need more flex

Post by Ladaman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Depends how much you want to spend, and what you are able to do yourself really.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Need more flex

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm

The best way to get more flex is to convert your Sj to fit longer springs and longer shocks, you'll also need longer brake lines. Also setting up the bumpstops correctly so that a good fulcrum effect is achieved, forcing more droop out of your suspension is often overlooked.

Personally I would avoid missing links and drop shackles, the droop they give isn't as effective as people make out because there is hardly any weight on the dropped tyre and no spring rate helping to push the tyre into the ground when the tyre tries to lift/drive over something.

Rear springs up front, fitting Sj rear springs on the front, they are longer than standard fronts and with the extra weight from the engine it helps them flex better than they do on the rear.

YJ springs or Toyota Hilux front springs on the rear, these are longer and wider, a longer spring means more flex, the extra width means the springs are stronger and more resistant to axle wrap.

Or YJs/Hilux springs all round, same as above yet you can get even more flex, however with the longer springs on the front you do loose a bit of your approach angle, however this isn't much of an issue if set up correctly and you are running 33" plus tyres. Smaller than 33" I would recommend staying with RUF and YJs/lux rear.

Many People say SPOA gives you more flex, it doesn't make a noticable improvement and you can achieve the same flex with spua if set up correctly.

Moving the springs and bumpstops inboard to 410 spacing or just starting with a 410 and fitting samurai axles also helps increase leverage on the springs and reduces the roll stiffness. I run my bumpstops directly below the chassis rails on the front to help squeeze more flex out.

I run YJs all round and have more than enough flex with no need for whacky shackles. Can't fault my set up at all and its often surprised a lot of people even though my SJ only stands 5'11" tall it goes places many taller vehicles do.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!