Help overheating

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Help overheating

Post by lukey4x4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:35 am

Hi all more problems , my vit engine is overheating after bout 20 mins with the fans turned on with steam and watwr coming out of a llittle hole in the rad bottle , my temp gauge not working so not sure how hot it is but i can smell it and the rad is way to hot , and because i have the vit clocks in my sj a orange check engine ligh came on and wouldnt start for 10 mins after , took it to a garage and said possible head gasket because it had cream on oil cap ,he did no pressure test so think he was guessing , engine has bin sitting for a few year so i thort could be condensation ,any 1 got any ideas thanks

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: Help overheating

Post by twiss » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:39 pm

Cream in the oil cap could just be from short journeys as condensation can build up.
If its really really overheating though and the headgasket is busted, you should either see bubbles in the radiator (gasket split between cylinder and water channel) or oil in the rad (split between oil and water channels)
However, usually when its split between the water and cylinder it will usually burn water and chuck white smoke out the back.
Are you getting smoke?
Also worth revving it up with the radiator cap off to see if there is good water flow.
You could have a crappy water pump or blockage in the system somewhere.
Have you tried draining and refilling the system? Just in case there is an air lock somewhere. Always refill with the heater set to HOT
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi twiss on start up there is alot of white smoke but seems to go after abit , i went over today and took the rad cap off topped water up and ran it for few mins with cap off and the water kept on flowing up and over the top , took thermostat off and checked that all ok , i havnt got any heaters in my sj mate , any ideas thanks

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Do a compression test on your cylinders, that should show up a head gasket problem,

There are videos on YouTube of how to do this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tww7l7Cu10g

r-nottz
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by r-nottz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:23 pm

Do your heaters blow hot?

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks twiss will do that any idea what psi shud be i have the 1.6 8v spi engine. Thanks mate

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi r-nottz i have no heaters in the sj all were ripped out as was only a offroader when i got it

Wimbo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Wimbo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:42 pm

White smoke? A new Pope? No, no, no... White smoke from the exhaust means steam and this steam is generated by temp and water. So, I would say head gasket and/or a tornt head I'm afraid....

lukey4x4
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by lukey4x4 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:49 pm

It looks that way mate gunna get it pressure tested at weekend n hopefully get it sorted soon thanks

courior
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by courior » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Does the white smoke linger in the air or dissapear fast? .. is it like smoke off a cigarette or steam out of kettle? As white smoke on startup is just worn valve seals. Comp test like the others said is the way to go.
Maruti Gypsy MG410
Electric Fan upgrade
5 speed box
30" Insa Turbo Saharas
1.5" Shackle Lift
LWB Pickup Conversion
Lots of stickers and a Skull gearknob.
Daymaker led lights