1.6 vit engine conversion suggestions...

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
MudMuncher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

1.6 vit engine conversion suggestions...

Post by MudMuncher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:40 am

Hi, currently undergoing Vitara engine conversion and would like some suggestions on a few bits if any kind souls out they're may be able to help.

First and foremost, clutch upgrade, what's the cheapest way to go to fit a decent heavy duty clutch that doesn't cost the earth?

I have little info on the engine I bought, other than it had supposedly done 75000 miles. The engine has nowhere for mechanical fuel pump to bolt on, so I'm assuming it had the in tank electronic fuel pump, is the best way to get around this to fit an external electrical fuel pump? I'm running the SU, or planning to, using my 1300 inlet.

I'm looking for either a vit alternator, or just a vitara's alternator pulley, if anybody knows of one or anyone who may be able to help there....

Not sure if I should do the 1300 sump modification, any opinions and experience on that would be handy, I'm not planning to lift her too much.

Also I'm planning on using 1300 radiator, dies the cooling capacity of it do the job intended or have people had overheating issues using it? I'm planning on getting an aftermarket electric fan to control enginebay splashback. Nobody likes splashback.

For now I think that's all the questions that spring to mind. Any help, suggestions or whatever would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Monday!

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Re: 1.6 vit engine conversion suggestions...

Post by zook123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:44 am

Scott will be one of the best people for this, he's done loads of engine conversions, and he's only in Bath!

Probably got all the bits for one aswell!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:16 pm

MudMuncher wrote:Hi, currently undergoing Vitara engine conversion and would like some suggestions on a few bits if any kind souls out they're may be able to help.

First and foremost, clutch upgrade, what's the cheapest way to go to fit a decent heavy duty clutch that doesn't cost the earth?

A good quality (LUK etc) 1.3 clutch will do the job just fine as long as the gearing is correct for the tyre size you are running

I have little info on the engine I bought, other than it had supposedly done 75000 miles. The engine has nowhere for mechanical fuel pump to bolt on, so I'm assuming it had the in tank electronic fuel pump, is the best way to get around this to fit an external electrical fuel pump? I'm running the SU, or planning to, using my 1300 inlet.

Your engine was originally an SPI engine then, you will want to run a facet low pressure fuel pump, don;t buy a cheap unbranded pump, you will regret it

I'm looking for either a vit alternator, or just a vitara's alternator pulley, if anybody knows of one or anyone who may be able to help there....

I might have a pulley but no spare decent alternators

Not sure if I should do the 1300 sump modification, any opinions and experience on that would be handy, I'm not planning to lift her too much.

I've never done a sump swap as I've never found the need, as long as you have 1.5-2" lift you don't really need it, or if you move the front axle forwards by drilling new locating holes in the spring perches and plates, personally I think this is worth doing anyway, it improves the approach angle and gives more bulkhead clearance for bigger tyres.

Also I'm planning on using 1300 radiator, dies the cooling capacity of it do the job intended or have people had overheating issues using it? I'm planning on getting an aftermarket electric fan to control enginebay splashback. Nobody likes splashback.
Personally I wouldn't bother with a 1.3 rad...EVER!....Get a Vit rad in there, the 1.3 rad is too small and you will more than likely have cooling issues even with an electric fan while offroading

For now I think that's all the questions that spring to mind. Any help, suggestions or whatever would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Monday!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:32 pm

ScottieJ wrote:Your engine was originally an SPI engine then, you will want to run a facet low pressure fuel pump, don;t buy a cheap unbranded pump, you will regret it
I know I did!
ScottieJ wrote:Personally I wouldn't bother with a 1.3 rad...EVER!....Get a Vit rad in there, the 1.3 rad is too small and you will more than likely have cooling issues even with an electric fan while offroading
The 1.3 rad has trouble cooling my 1.3 sometimes...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

MudMuncher
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by MudMuncher » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:51 am

That's awesome info thanks Scottie.

I'm running 16"rims with 33's on and am going to be messing about with diff ratios to see what suits me best, as I'm not planning to climb Everest, but want something that climbs well. I was looking at a stage 1 clutch kit on eBay, but maybe I should just go to my local parts shop and get a decent standard kit.

So spend the money and get a decent pump, so i don't regret it.

If you do have a spare pulley that'd save me making one, as that's plan b.

Will get a Vitara rad, makes sense to really.

She is currently lifted about 2-3 inches so I should've ok for the sump clearance going on that then, which is ideal. Moving axle forward sounds good idea. Really not sure what to do with suspension yet so have left it alone for now. Like the look of drop links and would like flex, but no plans on that front yet.

Thanks for the replies. Most appreciated. Without this forum id be scratching my head, and no doubt my ass too, wondering what to do.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:23 pm

For gearing you'll want at least a 410 tbox (rocklobster/4.16 gearset would be better) with 4.3:1 diff ring and pinions.

Personally I'm not a fan of drop links, they don't really provide any useful flex.......Once they open there's minimal ground pressure and no spring rate so the advantages are negligible, better to run longer springs on the rear with rear springs up front or something like YJ/Hilux fronts all round. I would rather have slightly less flex and a more stable vehicle myself.

You are more than welcome to pop over and visit for a chat about mods etc. I'm around 1hr drive from you.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

zook123
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by zook123 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Shame i'm only 10mins down the road from Wincanton, not seen the SJ about though!
2002 Jimny O2 Ragtop
Safari Snorkel, Freewheeling Hub Conversion
Diff Breathers, G/Box and T/Box Breathers, 2in Suspension Lift
HD Recovery Points and Winch Plate
Kuhmo KL71 MT / Goodyear Wrangler AT

Wessex 4X4 Reponse - WE411
wessex4x4response.org.uk

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:51 pm

ps my cooling is mostly fine with a 1.3 rad and electric fan... even in 35*c heat ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 pm

twiss wrote:ps my cooling is mostly fine with a 1.3 rad and electric fan... even in 35*c heat ;)
"Mostly"

That doesn't sell it for me :lol: I know for a fact the fan would be on less if you had a 1.6 rad ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Yes it would... it only overheated when I was pulling the trailer up the alps... but since I've put the 16v in there hasn't been an issue with the rad
Even the the 8v in before that for god knows how many years
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."