Cheapest place for a soft top?

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Cheapest place for a soft top?

Post by Phillips321 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:02 am

Hi guys,

My soft top is very dated, i was aware of this when i bought it and knew it would be an expense at some point.

I'm considering a few options:
  • Second hand split hard top (so i can leave the back on but remove the bit over the drivers head)
  • A full OEM replacement soft top
  • A fast back style soft top
So as it stands place called monsoon does the OEM style for a shade over £210 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281991809756Image

A replacement from america for about £130 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361462808712, any idea on quality? +£15 for zip out windows http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272175368042 Image

Or a fastback style from monsoon for about £216 http://www.monsoon4x4.co.uk/Suzuki_SJ_S ... t_Tops.htm

A hard top is only if one becomes available, within budget and close enough for me to collect.

Any tips or recommendations guys? I really like the fastback style as it'll allow me to roll up the rear window and stand in the back to shoot.

Thanks

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Cheapest place for a soft top?

Post by ROBBIE » Tue May 03, 2016 8:56 am

I had the first one from monsoon. Was OK for the money, looked plastic on the inside so always had droplets of water dripping down in the mornings, but wipe round sorted that before you drive away. It never looked tight on the rear window like in the pic, but that might have been because of the fact there was a roll cage in the back and the hoop never sat properly. But it did keep you dry and the wind out.
Cant say about the other two
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue May 03, 2016 4:51 pm

I have a Monsoon fastback and have found it to be very durable and well made. A great fit although as with all of them you do have to give it a good yank to get the rear to clip up when it's cold.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue May 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Another vote here for monsoon. I have a black fastback.
Only 2 suggestions I would make is... get the clear back window. Over time the smoked window become opaque.
Secondly, don't try and roll it up while its part frozen! I managed to split the back window in half :(
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 pm

Phillips321 wrote: Any tips or recommendations guys? I really like the fastback style as it'll allow me to roll up the rear window and stand in the back to shoot.
So we can focus on your exact requirements, what is your actual 'modus operandi' when you go out hunting/shooting?

Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Phillips321 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:38 pm

SherwoodNash wrote:
Phillips321 wrote: Any tips or recommendations guys? I really like the fastback style as it'll allow me to roll up the rear window and stand in the back to shoot.
So we can focus on your exact requirements, what is your actual 'modus operandi' when you go out hunting/shooting?
Driving around like a red neck and shooting off the vehicle. Previously used a Nissan nivara but it's too big and heavy.