SJ410 Soft Top too tight to fit

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

SJ410 Soft Top too tight to fit

Post by buzzuki » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:48 am

Just spent 2hrs struggling to fit a Pavement Ends replacement soft top on the 410 but I can't stretch the back half down enough to meet the snappers or dot fasteners - I've got a ratchet strap pulling the rear bow down but I still can't pull the rear sides or back down enough I've only managed to close the first snap stud on each side, it's as if it's shrunk in the wash lol. Has anyone encountered this and have any tips please?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: SJ410 Soft Top too tight to fit

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 pm

It will be hard in this cold weather. take it off and put it somewhere quite warm for a few hours to get some heat into it and it will 'stretch' a bit easier.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

buzzuki
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by buzzuki » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:48 pm

ScottieJ wrote:It will be hard in this cold weather. take it off and put it somewhere quite warm for a few hours to get some heat into it and it will 'stretch' a bit easier.
Im afraid I don't have the luxury of that option as the car is needed this evening and I can't put the old one back on because it's a fastback one and I need the rear seats.

What I did for now is removed the pivot bolts from the rear bow, connected up all the snappers and dot fasteners then force the rear bow back in place wedging it against the plastic pivot blocks on the tub. When it's stretched a bit I'll force it the last 10mm or so and put the bolts back in.

You're right though a nice summers day would be the answer! 8-)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:52 pm

that'll do, i have the same issue, i've had a top sat half fitted to an sj in the workshop for a few months now :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Espresso
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Espresso » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi I just fitted one on my vitara, it was tight to close so I used a fan heater inside to warm it up worked a treat.