Changing a wheel stud with the hub on, any suggestions?

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
villagehoppa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Changing a wheel stud with the hub on, any suggestions?

Post by villagehoppa » Tue May 23, 2017 8:01 am

Morning all,

So I got the calipers off,(thanks to ScottiJ for the stud) pulled out the old stud and tried putting the new one in, has anyone done this with the hub on the car? It's very tight and the only way I can see to press it in is by taking the whole thing apart which I didn't want to do!! Any suggestions before I really get my hands dirty?
Attachments
stud.jpg
stud.jpg (601.95 KiB) Viewed 8454 times

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Changing a wheel stud with the hub on, any suggestions?

Post by palo123 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

How about using a G clamp to press it in. It'd mean you wouldn't have to take it off.
Or put a nut on the threaded side and do I up so it pull the stud in to place.

Pete

villagehoppa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by villagehoppa » Tue May 23, 2017 2:22 pm

I tried putting a nut on and tightening it but it got really stiff, REALLY stiff and didn't want to ruin the thread? Has anyone else had to do anything similar? I wonder if a couple of washers would help?...

stevepsj413
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stevepsj413 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:41 pm

You got a slide hammer?

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Tue May 23, 2017 6:41 pm

villagehoppa wrote:I tried putting a nut on and tightening it but it got really stiff, REALLY stiff and didn't want to ruin the thread? Has anyone else had to do anything similar? I wonder if a couple of washers would help?...
You've probably run out of thread. As you say washers/spacer to the same or more thickness than the rear protrusion.
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue May 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Big g clamp with a big socket over the threaded part of the stud so as you tighten the clamp it pushes the stud into the socket and doesn't destroy the thread.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

palo123
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by palo123 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:37 am

What about cooling the stud down in the freezer and then heating the hub a little. The stud should shrink a little and the hub should expand a little, if I'm correct it should make it easier whilst using some of the methods above.

villagehoppa
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by villagehoppa » Wed May 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Cheers Guys,

Going to have a go tonight and use some spacer washers, i think I did run out of travel on the tread!! Might even give it a bit of heat too, every little helps as they say at tesco!! Thanks again...

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed May 24, 2017 1:45 pm

palo123 wrote:What about cooling the stud down in the freezer and then heating the hub a little. The stud should shrink a little and the hub should expand a little, if I'm correct it should make it easier whilst using some of the methods above.
That's what I'd do, then put a (sacrificial) nut on it and use a slide hammer. Mainly because I actually have a slide hammer...

I did my rear ones with a fine adjustment device (hammer), but they were off the car at the time. Didn't need heat, just fine adjusted the hell out of it.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Wed May 24, 2017 9:16 pm

villagehoppa wrote:Cheers Guys,

Going to have a go tonight and use some spacer washers, i think I did run out of travel on the tread!! Might even give it a bit of heat too, every little helps as they say at tesco!! Thanks again...

I'd do this with the spacer washers, if you have enough it should pull in fine