Fixed hubs v Freewheel hubs

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Toodlepip
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Fixed hubs v Freewheel hubs

Post by Toodlepip » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:55 pm

I'm a tad wet behind the ears regarding off road driving, and have a question about hubs and suchlike.

The SJ410 I've just acquired has fixed hubs, however I've noticed other SJ's with freewheel/locking hubs (is that the correct name?) My question is, what are the advantages/disadvantages of both? Can locking hubs be retrofitted to mine and would it be a complicated task to undertake? I have a fair degree of mechanical ability and don't mind doing it if it means improving off road mountain goatability. Any and all advice gratefully received.

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: Fixed hubs v Freewheel hubs

Post by andyrew » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:44 pm

Very easy bolt off bolt on.

Having driven with hubs locked and unlocked on the road I would certainly say there's a difference. It's minor but helps a smidge with fuel consumption and if you can get some for a decent price then its worth doing.

The asin hubs have tappered washers that ideally need to be used when fitting so better if they come with bolts and washers.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

Toodlepip
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Toodlepip » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:10 pm

Good to hear they're a relatively simple swap, definitely on my shopping list now. Many thanks for your advice.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 am

As Andy said.

Its a doddle of a job to swap them. Marginal increase in fuel consumption and less wear on some drivetrain parts. I don’t think many of us do enough miles to notice this difference.

Slightly better on road manners.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Jordi wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 am
I don’t think many of us do enough miles to notice this difference.
I do the miles, also have 33" tyres and twin transfer boxes to help drink fuel :hahaha:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 am

ScottieJ wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:27 pm
Jordi wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:15 am
I don’t think many of us do enough miles to notice this difference.
I do the miles, also have 33" tyres and twin transfer boxes to help drink fuel :hahaha:
I didn’t say all of us 😂😂😂
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank