Tramps Truck,

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Tramps Truck,

Post by Tramp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:49 pm

I can get the nut off but can't get the arm off the splines, if its not going to fail its test through it im happy to leave it and keep topping it up! I know I've been putting the welding off for ages now, i just need to get my ass in gear. I'd like to put my original t box back in it and fit the bull bar (some how) but its the welding that is holding me back more than anything.

i should add with regards to the drop pitman, I did try a small sprocket puller which broke and a huge sprocket puller which kept coming off. My next thought was a ball joint splitter type tool
Last edited by Tramp on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Whats to weld?

Why you swapping the t/box?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Sills, arches and around the filler in the floor, I wanted to swap because the rocklobster is too low for me on the road, I've been intending to swapping it back for ages but I want to do the seals and out board bearings in my old box before I swap it back in,

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:03 pm

I'd need to see how bad the rot is first to know if i'm good enough to do it.

Are you patching the sill? Putting new ones in? Or box section?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Well I had an hour today so I thought I'd do a little job....
410 bulbar mounts
410 bulbar mounts
image.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 5597 times
I painted these a few days ago
My SJ without the bumper or brackets
My SJ without the bumper or brackets
image.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 5597 times
Then removed the bumper so I could get into the mounts

With them fitted
With them fitted
image.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 5597 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5597 times
I fitted the spacers and the bracket ready for me to get the wrap around bull bar painted I also need to make up x4 3.5cm spacers to fit as these brackets are now on the 'wrong' side of the chassis

I also noticed these
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 5597 times
Which I had forgot about!

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:46 am

Looking good dude. Post up some pictures of the rust. You might get someone who can offer some help.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:37 pm

Go me - I actually did something else on my Suzuki this month/year, I re-painted my rear spot light holder. When I first fitted it I had it powder coated which was great but when I tightened the retaining nuts it chipped and flaked the paint off, after that the water got in and rusted the paint from the plate, I blasted the old powder coating off and gave it a once over with hammerite spray paint, no primer required,

I've also ordered some h3 SMD LED replacement lamps which I'll be fitting in due course!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Any of the pre MOT work done?

Hodgie812
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Hodgie812 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Just looking at your build, love the truck. I'm new to zuk's and have a vitara, so i'm not too clued up on sj's etc. If you haven't got round to sorting the leaking steering box yet, I remember an an old trick that worked with the land rover boxes, was to pour some brake fluid in with the oil. It will swell the seals and stop the leak for a while. Might be worth a try? Do not do this if you have power steering as it will wreck the seals in the pump and cost a fortune to put right.

Anyway good luck with it all.

Jamie.
Built with ebay!!!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty sure it's the labyrinth seal that's gone on the output as plenty of heat was applied when the pitman arm was changed to the drop type for the lift! I think I'm going to put some landrover one shot swivel housing grease in as it's a little more fluid than straight grease,

Here's a pic of it fitted!

It just needs everything else doing now!