OIL IN THE AIR BOX

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

OIL IN THE AIR BOX

Post by urbanzook » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:31 pm

hi all over the last few weeks my anus has been getting wet/oily under the drivers front wheel arch.
i thought it was my steering box and it was running down the chassis an dripping off all over.
but on closer inspection the oily stuff was come in from under the air box????
hum there is no oil over here to leak it must be spraying off the engine and running down.
no leaks to be found on the engine, ok ill take the air box off an look under it just for
sanity, i unclip the top of the box lift it off to find its half full of oil cant even see my filter
so some how the breather pipe has been putting oil into my air box an is been slowly dripping out
of the drain hole.
has any one had this problem or anything like it???
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: OIL IN THE AIR BOX

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:34 pm

im currently getting a bit of oil coming up my breather after i did that jump. think it must have all shot up and into the breather with the force.

i know the sj heads have a splash guard type thing on the bottom of the rocker cover to stop it a bit. maybe because you have a engine out of a normal car no such guard is present and when you get on the rough stuff oil gets chucked up.

just a guess
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:02 am

doesnt urbanzook have a vitara engine? my logic is that suzuki would have a similar design in its other offroad designed vehicles? but this is suzuki, and they dont like making things simple, lol.

How long is it since you last had a look inside the air box, that would give a rough idea as to what time period this has built up in, as it sounds quite a lot.

what is your oil level, how often do you change your oil?

for such a large build up to me it sounds like the oil has been forced through due to high pressure in the engine? if the oil galleries have been blocked on the way back down to the sump you would get a build up at the top. But if this happened that would be a massive build up of oil in the rocker cover, and i should imagine this would cause poor running.

this is all just an idea though!

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:42 pm

yer is a vit lump, so id gess that the oil splash guard wood be there.
the last time i looked in it was about six weaks i looked in it if not more.
i do full servise every 12 months befor mot time, oil plugs filters pads ect.
the last time i toped up with oil was about 5 months ago but i used a oil
stabilizer as i had a small leak out of my bottom crank an evey thinks was ok
till about a weak a go where it needed a bit more an i used more stabilizer.
bourneyo wrote: for such a large build up to me it sounds like the oil has been forced through due to high pressure in the engine? if the oil galleries have been blocked on the way back down to the sump you would get a build up at the top. But if this happened that would be a massive build up of oil in the rocker cover, and i should imagine this would cause poor running.
Dan 8-)

hum oil stabilizer will build up pressure and the oil in the air box was looking like stabilizer.
maybe time for an oil change.
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

Zukipilot
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Zukipilot » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:10 pm

Check your PCV valve. It should be a one way valve that allows the enginr to breathe. When it goes faulty, the one way system stops working. Sometimes it stops working in the position that allows oil to vent from the engine into the air filter.

Start by checking the lines from the PCV to the airbox. If these have oil in them, then it is definitely your PCV that's faulty. If not, you will need to look elsewhere.
You can go fast, I can go ANYWHERE

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:28 pm

I would be saying as per zukipilot, inoperative positive crankcase ventilation valve or blocked breathers.

Rob

zukimoo
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukimoo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:06 pm

change the PCV valve.....when it goes it will let the pressure build in your engine and cause the problem you have. In my zuke the valve went bad and the engine started to smoke...real bad. as soon as I changed the valve most of the smoke went away.