decided to hand paint the sj how much paint???

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: decided to hand paint the sj how much paint???

Post by felstmiester » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Just thought i'd update for those who are interested. I've hand painted the zuke (mostly foam roller). Pretty happy with the results as it goes. I ground all the old rust out so no holes in the front arches anymore so all in all she looks nice and tidy. I kept with the yellow theme as it was its orriginal colour, not that the yellow i've painted it in is the same shade!! More of a canary yellow i would say.

While i was at it i also fitted an external roll cage, snorkel and front nudge bar.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:34 pm

We definitely need some pictures of the new paint job :poke:

:P
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Well done!

But the big question is, how much paint did you use? :lol:

:worthless:

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Haa. That is the question!! I actually recon i only used around 2.5 ltrs of paint to be honest, and that was two coats. Bairing in mind i only painted what can be seen, so no door shuts or anything.

Know all i need to get is a winch and a couple of spare wheels n tyres. Oh and fit some breather pipes on the diffs n transfer box. Is it worth fitting one on the gearbox???

I will post some pics up when i get chance.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 am

SJ.JPG
SJ.JPG (123.49 KiB) Viewed 6642 times

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:19 pm

:smokin: like it :doublethumbs:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Chriscov88
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Chriscov88 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am

What paint did you use?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 pm

Like it. I'm hoping to do mine over the summer.

I have option of paint. All of which should be hard waring and easy to get. Either Sarens Blue, Caterpillar yellow, but the favourite at the moment is Nooteboom red.

That looks well, i'm deffo rollering next time. Spraying it was just a bitch. Gave it two coats but spraying doesn't give a thick enough coat.

Can we get some more pics please?

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:51 pm

jordi this was done over two years ago now so is looking a bit tired after a few dings and jet washing over the past couple of years. I also painted it before fitting the external roll cage so it was pretty easy. I've got plans to give it all a re paint when the weather gets warmer as most of the paint on the roll cage and wheels has been blasted off by me jet washing lol. I'm gonna use etch primer when I do it next time tho. As for the body work I'm just gonna rub it down a bit and roller and brush it like before. Although I'd love to change the colour I can't as everyone who I go off roading with has named it the amazing yellow box lol.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

The yellow box. Dunno where they could have come up with a name like that.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank