Separate the body from the frame

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
musse
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Separate the body from the frame

Post by musse » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi I am new here. I am from Sweden and I have a SJ 410 from 1985. I would like to fix some rust and to do this I think it must be easier if I separate the body from the frame. So I now wonder if there is anyone who know how to separate the body. So far I have removerd 10 bolts and nuts but that does not seem to be enough. I hope somebody can help me.
Best regards.

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Separate the body from the frame

Post by bourneyo » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:30 am

1st off welcome to th forum! :beer:

I cant remember how many bolts there are, but someone will be along soon who does.

but dont for get to disconnect break lines, your clutch cable, drive shaft and loom as they all run on both the chassis and the body. The loom I think is only a couple of earth straps connecting the two. you will also need to diconnect the fuel tank filler hose and electrics.

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:32 am

hi musse, the 10 bolts are what hold the body to the chassis. you will also have to disconnect the steering column, the pedal box, i.e clutch cable, accelerator cable, brakes pipes and don't forget the speedo cable. then you will need to disconnect the wiring loom, anything that runs for the body to the engine/transmisson like the starter motor, alternator,transfer box,oil pressure switch, dizzy etc. you will also have to disconnect the heater matix and handbrake cable.
think thats about it.
then get a few big mates and lift.

cheers kev.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 pm

where exactly is the rust because if its towards the back of the body like around the body mounts that are just behind the front seats, you can get away with just undoing the body mounts and lifting the shell of the chassis a little bit without dissconecting everything else, like this!

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

musse
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by musse » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Thank you very much for your quick replies. I´d like to go on with it right away.
Roger