Lockrite

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Lockrite

Post by felstmiester » Sun May 19, 2013 8:56 am

If I fit a lockrite locker in the rear diff is it a case of stripping the diff fitting the locker and putting back together or would the diff have to be set up for backlash etc ??
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Lockrite

Post by Ladaman » Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

Have a look here, there are the full instructions.

I think its 1510 or 1530 for an SJ

http://www.richmondgear.com/installmanuals.html
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 am

I have read on other sites that if you don't set up a lockright carefully, they tend to lock when you don't want them to, make lots of clanking, clacking and banging noises, and generally make you wish you'd done the job properly right from the start.

It's the main reason I don't have one, I know I'd screw up the install.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sun May 19, 2013 12:42 pm

I've heard in the past that the early model sammy runs different diffs to the later ones. Something to do with the side gears, and the early ones being stronger and needing a 4 pin locker rather than a 2 pin. I know the side gears are interchangeable from the old to the new as the diff casings are the same but then obviously the half shafts must be different with more or less splines ???

Plus my other worry is I'm running the diesel turbo engine so is the extra torque gonna effect breakages lol. I only use the Sj for the odd weekend off road outing and although its road legal I'm not to bothered about road manners.

Apparently the 1510 locker is the 4 pin.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 pm

SJ410's have different diffs/diff housings to SJ413's and Samurais. 413's and Samurais have the same diffs, but different pinion and ring gear resulting in slightly different gear ratios.

A lockright for a samurai will fit a 413.

The half shaft issues arise between models of lockright. The 1510 uses standard side gears, so will work with standard halfshafts. The 1530 uses custom side gears splined for the rear shafts, so they will only work with either uprated front halfshafts or in the rear.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the 1530's. That's not to say they're bad, I just haven't *heard* anything good about them.

Also, I *think* all lockrights are 4 pin. Other manufacturers might use 2 pin versions of a similar design, but I *think* that all lockrights are 4 pin. I won't be offended if anyone calls me a moron over that though, I could easily be wrong.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sun May 19, 2013 5:33 pm

No I think your right anton. My post was wrong in the sense it's the front sammy axles that are different. I think I'm gonna give the lockrite a go. Like I say I don't use my Sj that often so it should last a while lol.

Rhinoman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Rhinoman » Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Anton wrote:I have read on other sites that if you don't set up a lockright carefully, they tend to lock when you don't want them to, make lots of clanking, clacking and banging noises, and generally make you wish you'd done the job properly right from the start.
They have to be correctly shimmed, it didn't used to obvious in the instructions, I don't know if thats been changed now.
2006 Jimny JLX+ 1.3 VVT
2000 Vitara 4u2 - Calmini 3+3, 33" MTs, 5:83 R&Ps, winch bumper, remapped ECU.
1986 Suzuki SJ413K - G16 conversion
1984 Suzuki SJ410 - Blitz

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 pm

I made my old man build mine up, I'm pretty sure he set the backlash up the same as it was, drives perfect great bit of kit. I have a spartan one though

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Sun May 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I have them there awesome.

Unless you want to steer, turn out of a rut, not go sideways ECT.

I have them front and rear, seams to work.

Anton

Post by Anton » Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 pm

mike harris wrote:I have them there awesome.

Unless you want to steer, turn out of a rut, not go sideways ECT.

I have them front and rear, seams to work.
I'm wondering, Mike, if you can put linelocks on the front axle, and by locking the side you want to turn towards, force your SJ round. I guess it'd only work if your front diff is open though!

Or I suppose you could get out, unlock the hub, get back in, yada yada... A lot of faffing about!!!

So how bad do they make your steering?