Decisions paint or 2k

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Decisions paint or 2k

Post by felstmiester » Sun May 26, 2013 9:45 am

In the years I've had the Sj I've slowly added bits to it and took short cuts with painting to tidy up the look, but the jet washing has took it's tole on my roll cage wheels and body work and was starting to look very tatty. My wheels was chrome so I've got all the old paint off keyed em up the best I can and put a couple of coats of etch primer on em ready for painting. The roll cage I've rubbed down and I'm gonna etch it so that's pretty much sorted but I'm not sure what to do with the bodywork??

A couple of years ago I rollered it with some paint I had lying down my yard that we used to paint plant machinery with but first outing out in the mud after when I jet washed it of it became apparent that my new paint job was allergic to mud and had gone like the texture of underseal lol. I've now got the problem of what do I paint over the top that isn't gonna react?? I know the paint I painted on it before was paint and not cellulose, and I know I can paint on top of this with aerosol cans as I've painted the bonnet over the top of the old paint since and has held up well. So not sure weather to buy a load of aerosols and do it a pannel at a time or just buy a tin of normal car paint and spray with a gun ( have the facilities to do this ) or go for the dear rout and spray with 2k and get a nice hard paint? The latter I'm not sure if it will react with whats already on.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Decisions paint or 2k

Post by Anton » Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 am

I would say it comes down to:

How long do you want this to last, and how badly do you want your SJ to look perfect?

If the answer to either of those questions is "not so much" then sand it back and roller it again or rattlecan it, before sealing it in with rattlecan clearcoat. That should stop the mud from killing the paint.

I don't know if you've seen it, but...

Click Here for Youtube Video

This guy seems to have managed an awesome finish using rollers and "rustoleum" paint thinned with normal paint thinner for about $50. I've always wanted to try that, to see if it'd work. My guess is that's what you did last time - if it works, why do anything else? When you're done, just throw on a coat or two of rattlecan clearcoat to protect the paint.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

windsor
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by windsor » Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 am

Have u considerd a vynal wrap set u bak about 600quid looks bang on and last about 7 year befor u should remove it my m8 does it for a liveing and considering getting myn done
1994 sj 413 sierra
cheker plate door cards
cd players
asin free wheeling hubs
99% rust free
alloys
bukets
some leaks here and there

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Sun May 26, 2013 10:52 am

The state of my bodywork I'm not sure a viynl wrap will stick lol.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sun May 26, 2013 11:12 pm

It really does depend on what type of finish you are after...if you want a matt finish buy about 10 large aerosol tins and job done, easy to spray over scratches too.

A decent gloss finish can be done with spray tins as well, I know I've done 5 SJ's that way and they looked the pups.

These are all much cheaper than 2 pack, choice is yours I guess!
If it ticks over...leave it

OllieSJ

Post by OllieSJ » Sun May 26, 2013 11:25 pm

im getting a black vynal roof on my sj soon as my dad thinks it would llook good
Sj410Q- Spacers, Bucket seats, Su carb , Mot and Tax

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Mon May 27, 2013 5:27 pm

I think for ease I'll get some paint (jam) and spray it with a gun. Only reason for this is my external roll cage is so close to the body it would be hard to get a roller or brush behind it so I think I'll just get it in the workshop give whats on a bit of a rubb down mask up and blow it over. Job done.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon May 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Jobs a good un'.

I'm just gonna roller mine when i get round to it. Too much prep required for spraying and seen as i do it in my garage the mess off the overspray gets everywhere.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

turbo-tom

Post by turbo-tom » Mon May 27, 2013 11:08 pm

vinyl wraps look good if there only done pro , also if you do down green lanes you can tear/rip the vinyl wrap yes you can get flash super tough ones but bollocks they still rip
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon May 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Not just that. I wouldn't fancy it when the vinyl started bubbling as the rust came through. At least paint you can do patchwork and match the paint colour.

And it will tear/peel off by itself.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank