rear disc conversion

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
roadrunner
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

rear disc conversion

Post by roadrunner » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:00 pm

hey guys ,

im doing a rear disc conversion on my 92 samurai , i have got all the adapter plates and front studs but i want to use rover 600 calipers because of the hand brake on the caliper.

my question is has anyone done it and can give me some advice and some pictures on it , manly want to know how to mount the hand brake cables to and how to adapt them to the calipers .

want to use the sj brake cables , any help is appreciated

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: rear disc conversion

Post by twiss » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 am

I believe if you have the single handbrake cable they should connect up fine, but if you have the double handbrake cables from a later spanish model, muddyzook sell a connector for that
One thing to bear in mind is that Rover 600 calipers are dead easy to buy new, but the mounts for the calipers are getting hard to find these days
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:14 pm

I did this conversion, but I never used the handbrake mechanism in the Rover calipers. I have a transfer case handbrake.

It's a mistake (imo) to use the t-case drum brake. It's useless. If I ever get the chance, I'm going to be making and fitting brackets so I can use the handbrake mechanism from the Rover calipers, although bear in mind that they're prone to binding up if you let them get rusty - so every year or so, you should pull your rear wheels and check everything is in good working order. Especially if you go offroading.

Mine were rebuilt with all new rubber seals etc, and I packed the sliders with silicone grease before reassembling everything - which should help keep out water and also keep everything nice and free. But even if I didn't do the handbrake thing, the binding issue would still affect me - so I see little point in keep sweating every time I'm on a steep hill and praying that my drum t-case handbrake will hold me - the rover rear calipers seem like a much better solution.

I also have an X-Engineering t-case disk conversion (which is what ScottieJ uses) but I don't know if I'll bother with that at all - although it might be nice to have a backup...???
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:31 pm

I've never had an issue with the stock tbox drum tbh, as long as the cable is good and you keep it adjusted they work fine. The x-eng is Ok, tbh I wouldn't buy another one though, it took me ages to modify it to the point it works well and it's still not great. Yes it's holding power is good, but in general for everyday use it's crap and always sticks so I usually just park in gear :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

roadrunner
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by roadrunner » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:48 pm

I have got brand new rover calipers, my samurai is the later model with 2 cables , can someone send me some pictures of how they mounted the cables and calipers please

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Muddyzook do a rear disc conversion kit that includes that bracket. I'm thinking of calling them eventually and getting just the bracket and associated handbrake bits, although I'd prefer to make my own (just because I like making things), but health issues get in the way.

http://muddyzook.co.uk/store/index.php

I believe that the basic kit (no handbrake stuff) is about £40 cheaper than the kit with handbrake. Maybe they'll sell you just the handbrake bits - or you can use their designs for "research purposes"?
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map