Cheap Winches

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Cheap Winches

Post by Turb() » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:29 pm

*wasn't sure where to stick this thread so stuck it here*

Right, I'm considering a cheap starter winch for the SJ. I just want something to pull me out if I get stuck and don't want to go too overboard just yet.
I know, as with all things, you buy cheap you buy twice. But Just for the sake of getting the basic kit to start me off...

Has anyone tried one of these:

Click Here for Ebay Listing

At 50 quid delivered I thought it might be worth a punt...?

And is there any way of mounting a winch to an SJ without needing a winch bumper? Or, if you do need a winch bumper, where is the best place to look for price/quality?

Any info or advice thankfully received :guns:

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Cheap Winches

Post by justaddmud » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:36 pm

personally, i think you would be waisting your money with that one, 2000lb is only 900kg max pull probably not even good enought to pull you up a slight incline, let alone out of s sticky situation, not to mention it will probably only have a few meters of cable on it.

be better off with a tiffor(sp?) manual winch over that :lol:

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 pm

If you want a really cheap winch, you can get a trailer winch.

I had one for a while... cost me £20! The only problem is you need a mate to wind you in while you drive!!

Mine got me out of a few tricky places! You have to be really careful not to overload them though!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Turb()
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Turb() » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:44 pm

well I did consider a trailer winch but not too great for the guy that has to stand winding it in!

What sort of strength winch would you guys recommend as a minimum to stick on there?
SJs are only light, and it surely only needs to aid you out, not do all the work?

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:12 pm

Personally i would go with a minimum of 6000lbs.

you have to remember that the winches may say 8000lbs pull, but that is the maximum pull on the first roll of wire, every layer of wire after that lessens the power (will try and see if i can find what i am talking about)

also, yes, the SJ is light, but when you are axle deep in mud, you could easily require more power.

this is what i will hopefully get in a few months

external brake, has dynareem type rope rather than steel wire, and is cheapy cheap cheap (well sort of, you know what i mean)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:14 am

Yup is go for a minimum of 6000lbs for an sj. 12000 is a bit over the top imo as they often weigh quite a bit more than a smaller winch, of your not in a rush you can always double up the winch line for twice the pull anyway.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

justaddmud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by justaddmud » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:38 am

yeah that one is a bit overkill, but the way i look at that one is that, i can use it to mount everything, and it comes with £100's worth or synthetic rope and an alloy fairlead, so the winch is next to nothing.

best winch i have seen lbs for ££'s is the superwinch ep9 external brake, so safe to run with synthetic rope, good line speed and good pulling power, and not that expensive either, think they are called the TDS goldfish now.

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 am

Ive been looking at one of these. Seem quite a good deal but I cant make my mind up.

Need to decide before I start the front bumper though

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

chrisj410
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by chrisj410 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:56 am

The superwinch and goldfish are different. The goodwinch is a kingone tds with uprated motor and made waterproof, pulls the sj along ruddy quick :). Don't know about the ep9 look good tho and llama4x4 sell them so I'd imagine they'd be as good as the rest of the gear he sells

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Turb() wrote:*wasn't sure where to stick this thread so stuck it here*

Right, I'm considering a cheap starter winch for the SJ. I just want something to pull me out if I get stuck and don't want to go too overboard just yet.
I know, as with all things, you buy cheap you buy twice. But Just for the sake of getting the basic kit to start me off...

Has anyone tried one of these:

At 50 quid delivered I thought it might be worth a punt...?

And is there any way of mounting a winch to an SJ without needing a winch bumper? Or, if you do need a winch bumper, where is the best place to look for price/quality?

Any info or advice thankfully received :guns:
I have one of those which is mainly used for pulling motorbikes up a ramp into the back of a van.. ideal for that and it will move the van on its wheels but nowhere near strong enough to pull anything out a muddy hole.

I run Champion 6000 winches on two of my Samurai's and they are more than up to the job of pulling 900Kg of Suzuki ;)