suspension question

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Jumpinjacks
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

suspension question

Post by Jumpinjacks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:19 am

I need to lift my Sj, I currently have standard springs with 2" lift shackles but the front springs are knackered. My mate has scrapped his sj and given me his standard springs from it as they are better condition.
I also bought a calmini reverse shackle kit for the front not long ago, but haven't fitted it.
I have been reading up on here and as I have two sets of rears, was wondering if I could use the rears up the front, but use the top leaf from the fronts, so that no brackets will need to be made. Then bolt these to the reverse shackle kit, I know I won't get as much flex as I would if I used the standard rear with missing links, but surely it should still work ok and give me some lift?
What do you reckon?
I would be looking out for Bedford springs for the rear in the mean time.
Suzuki SJ 413 Samurai owner

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: suspension question

Post by Anton » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:08 am

Go back to standard shackles if you can. And before thinking about rears up front, consider a virtual lift - cheapest/easiest way and often the most sensible.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Jumpinjacks
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jumpinjacks » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:24 am

Was not just looking to fit bigger tyres, but also raise the chassis. Would be doing a body lift aswell.
Why would it be better to keep the standard shackles rather than reverse?
Suzuki SJ 413 Samurai owner

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:44 pm

Fitting bigger tyres lifts the chassis and improves the ground clearance under the diffs. You don't need loads of chassis clearance, my chassis rails are only around 15.5" off the floor.

If you use a combo of shackle reverse and rear springs but with a front top lead you'll end up with 3-4" lift on the front so would need to lift the rear to match.

If it was me I would do a proper RUF conversion using the full length rear springs on the front and keep the shackles up front.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!