Hand Brake

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
archiepie
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Hand Brake

Post by archiepie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi There, I'm new to the SJ world as I've just been given one to play with. I've a SJ413 (94) and seriously need to know how to tighten the handbrake in idiot proof terms. Everything is standard so if someone could help I'd be gratefu.

Gary

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Hand Brake

Post by Tramp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:51 pm

okay on the sj there are several different types of handbrake cable, the first sort is a drum break on the prop shaft, the second is a x2 cables off your handbreak to either rear wheel (what i have) and the other way only uses one cable (at least i think and i have no idea how that works!) with the one that splits into two cables, there is an adjuster on the back of each break drum, to take up the slack.

Luke

bourneyo
The Boss
The Boss

Post by bourneyo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:43 pm

On some there is an adjuster on the handbrake underneath the floor pan, its a case of wiggling round on your back to get to it then just twist it so it tightens. Have you checked your brake shoes they may also need replacing. if they do slacken your handbrake cable right off to fit the new ones, then you will have plenty of adjustment for when they wear out.

Dan 8-)
http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk the new home for your suzuki sj

Dj_Biggy
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Dj_Biggy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:57 am

hi there - i have a handbrakeon my propshaft- just brought my sj410 and i got the handbrake in pieces - anyone got a picture or drawing to help me? pleeeezzzeee ;-)

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:07 am

With respect to the original post, if it's a 413, it's unlikey to have a transmission handbrake so it will operate on both the rear drums via either one or two cables.

Before messing about with adjusting the cables, take the rear drums off and check you have some brake shoes material left on them. Replacing them will make the handbrake work loads better and you may not have to adjust the cable. Simply adjusting the rear shoes coudl have the same effect if there is plenty of meat on the shoes. They do have self adjusters, but since when have they ever self adjusted??? Especially on an off roader that drives through gloopy mud and fills the drums up with the same.

To adjust the cable you will have to get underneath and look for some adjustment.

With respect to the 410 transmission brake. I removed mine as you can not get the shoes for them now and mine ran out of adjustment where the shoes were out of meat. I think it's possible to get the shoes re-lined but finding someone that can do that is not necessarily easy. A local motor factor might be able to suggest someone.

The transmission handbrakes worked by the cable turning a cam which pushed on the mechanism and pushed the shoes onto the drum. It should be clear how it works from the removal of the drum as all the shoes and springs remain on the back plate.

The easiest way of replacing this with something effective is with an X-Eng disk transmission handbrake conversion, but they are not cheap. I have fited one to our 410 though and it it brilliant. It can get covered in anything you like and will still hold the vehicle strong on a hill.

A 410 will need a transmission flange from someone liek Rhinoray though to fit the disk to, and getting the bolt that hold the old drum on may need an impact wrench or airgun on it.

Hope this helps people.

Kirkynut

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 pm

ive just got new shoes for tranny brake from rhinoray just 2 let u no they do still exsist
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

zukzuk
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukzuk » Fri May 08, 2009 8:37 pm

hi my hand brake cable broke today X( X( so is it easy to change ?? where does the cable go to ??it is a sammy on a k plate... where would i get one from ?? thanks

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sat May 09, 2009 8:07 pm

if its a sammy chances are its a cable to each rear brake, if it is that set up its probably broke both as they tend to fail in pairs, you can get new ones from any motor factor (rear drums and t case) when i replaced my twin set up new cables were £23 ea, i had to use x2 driver side ones and reverse the clamps,

when i ordered mine i accidently managed to order a t case one (thinking it was passenger side) that was more expensive at £28

Luke

zukzuk
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by zukzuk » Sun May 10, 2009 5:37 pm

well got under the sj today and luckily the two cables to the rear drums are fine ... its just the nut came off the rod from the hand brake lever .. the thing is now is how do i get it back on??? as ive tried and cant do it

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 pm

What i did was, remove both rear drums, and inside you can see an operating lever (with a spring on) i took the nipple off the lever (in the drums) and connected up the handbrake rod first (but didnt tension the system, just enough for the nut to be on the threads), now go back to your drums, put the cable nipple back on to the lever, i used a set of long nosed pliers and a screwdriver to coax it into position,

Luke