What to buy?

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
Ratty
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

What to buy?

Post by Ratty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Hay all,

So i am looking to buy a lwb zuk. I will be having it as a daily vehicle for a while so i need to get approx 30mpg out of this. Is there anything i can do to make the zuk do this.?

Theres alot of swb around but ive only seen one on ebay.

Also diesel is what i want. Would i get alot of power out of say a 1.9td for off roading/towing and such?

Jay18
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Re: What to buy?

Post by Jay18 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:22 pm

at standard with the 1.3 i have heard of good mpg at around 30mpg, the 1.9tdi vw engine is a common transplant and i hear you just need an adaptor plate to join it to your sj413 gearbox, and as it is a deisel you should gett a very good mpg out of it...

im sure someone will give you a link to a thread about the 1.9 TDI conversion...
2003 Grand Vitara 2.0 16v
16x7 Black 8 spokes
Nexen road tyres
32mm spacers
Kenwood Double Din Head Unit
Hidden CB radio
Cruise Control
GV Build Thread

SJ Build Thread
Facebook

YouTube
SuzukiPicsUK on Instagram

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Boyes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Ratty wrote:Hay all,

So i am looking to buy a lwb zuk. I will be having it as a daily vehicle for a while so i need to get approx 30mpg out of this. Is there anything i can do to make the zuk do this.?

Theres alot of swb around but ive only seen one on ebay.

Also diesel is what i want. Would i get alot of power out of say a 1.9td for off roading/towing and such?
Hi,

To get 30mpg you'd be looking at taking it steady and running standard size wheels, nothing silly.

As regards of 1.9td they have decent power and get good mpg figures in the cars they're originally out of, if you want power then the Peugeot HDI has lots of tuning potential, but there is wiring involved. The older XUD engine can be ran purely mechanical so next to no wiring, and nothing to go wrong, but it's fitting the engine in the engine bay, I have just fitted a non turbo 1.9D in my SJ and it is so close the slam panel I'm going to struggle to fit a radiator in! I have 6" from the engine to bulkhead, and 1" to the slam panel. :S

And this is with moving the engine/box as far back as possible with a tiny bogey prop, the next move would be moving the transfer box back! This is because of the length of the LDV box I have on the engine. Your best bet would be to source an engine out of a commercial vitara, as this could be significantly shorter.

Otherwise it's VAG engine (ACME kit is expensive) or Vauxhall engine Carlton/Manta box, and if you had to 1.5D peugeot 106 engine with a 413 box (some slight ovaling of the holes).

Depends how much work you want, mine's unfinished (I am slow and it's a second car). :lol:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Look up acme adapters in the US they do a vw turbo diesel conversion.

LWB sjs are quite rare and there's only around 100ish left in the uk so it will take a while to find one and they are generally a bit more expensive than SWB sjs as well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ratty
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Ratty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Wicked sounds good.
Once i sell my vw ill be getting a zuk.

So a peugeot engine is a good one.
Yeh i dont really fancy alot of wiring.

Id rather have the engine in it that i want thats best for me.

Is there a big difference in zuk length from swb to lwb?
Id be using it as a bit of a camper thats why the lwb interest, and im 6ft.
So not sure of space.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 pm

There is about 13.5" more in the wheelbase and about 24" more length in the rear bed.

I'll see if i can lie down in the back of mine at the weekend as I'm 6ft1 ;)
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:17 pm

I think to find. Road legal SJ already with a diesel transplant and LWB is gona be pretty impossible. As scottie says only 100ish left. (Picks are apparently rarer you know scottie).

The guys will give their input but out of all the members on here most are SWB and petrol i would take a safe guess at. Most diesel conversions i know were built purely for off road for the torque and wading ability. Due to mods most of the ones i've seen over the past 15years they will never be road legal again.

Even searching ebay recently only saw one LWB pick up. And very few diesel Sjs as all.

Realisticly (spelling? It just looks wrong) i would put the extra cash into a ready modded vitara conversion and be sensible with wheels, tyres, and gear settings. My Zuk is my daily ride but MPG doesnt bother me as i go to work monday and come home friday usually.

I don't want to put a damper on your plans but it may be a long search. Even just to find a LWB in roadworthy condition to Mod yourself.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Jordi wrote:I think to find. Road legal SJ already with a diesel transplant and LWB is gona be pretty impossible. As scottie says only 100ish left. (Picks are apparently rarer you know scottie).
According to Howmanyleft.co.uk there might actually be 12 more KJAs left ;)

KJA 44 taxed 64 sorn
Samurai lwb 18 taxed 29 sorn
Samurai estate lwb 10 taxed 16 sorn
Samurai estate (not sure if these are lwb?) 8 taxed 15 sorn
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ratty
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Ratty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:06 pm

That would be awsome scottie if you could let me know. Anychance you could take a photo of you lieing down so i can get an idea.

What zuk do you have?

What i want to buy and mod is a fully off road jacked up zuk thats diesel and enough space in the back to sleep.
I will have approx £6000 to buy a zuk and kit it out. Do you recon that will be enough money?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Will do!

I've got 3 :lol:

<< That one, A 87 sj410 that's highly modified on 33" tyres with a 1.6 8v
A 91 samurai LWB that I'm about to sort out for a daily drive
And a 80 lj80 that is in serious need of a good restoration :lol:

6k will be loads more than you'll need, expect a lot of change, well unless you get carried away :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!